Healthy Dorm Room Snack Hacks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

We all know it’s hard to eat healthy in college, especially when you’re living in a dorm room devoid of basic kitchen appliances.  So what can you do with limited storage space, a microwave, and a refrigerator?  Check out these 5 easy and healthy snacks that you can make with just a few ingredients and a little bit of time!

Chocolate and Peanut Butter Banana Bites

If you’re craving something sweet, but trying to avoid devouring candy full of empty calories, try making this tasty and satisfying treat, instead!  All you’ll need is some dark chocolate chips, coconut oil, 1 banana, and your favorite peanut butter (or for those with nut allergies, a substitute like sunflower butter).

1. Cut your banana into slices and place on a plate.

2. Pour the chocolate chips and a spoonful of coconut oil into a microwave safe bowl and microwave until combined and melted.

#Tip: The coconut oil will help the chocolate harden into a glossy shell when refrigerated. 

3. Put a spoonful of peanut butter on each banana slice.

4. Cover all of the peanut butter-y banana slices with melted chocolate.

5.  Refrigerate until the chocolate hardens and enjoy!

Cheese and Cracker “Pizzas”

Pizza is a staple of a college student’s diet, but all that greasy cheese and dough (as delicious and tempting as it is) can add up to a few unwanted pounds is not enjoyed in moderation.  So if pizza starts calling your name, don’t dial up for delivery, and make this lightened up version instead!  All you’ll need are your favorite crackers, some mozzarella cheese, sundried tomatoes, and spinach!

1. Lay out your crackers on a microwave safe plate. 

2. Place a small slice of mozzarella on each cracker.

3.  Place the cheese and crackers in the microwave, just until the cheese starts to melt.

4.  Take the crackers out of the microwave and top each one with a sundried tomato and a piece of spinach. 

#Tip: If you want to save money and avoid wasting an entire package of spinach, bring a Tupperware container to the dining hall to grab just a few spinach leaves from the salad bar!

5. Eat and enjoy all the flavors of pizza!

Breakfast Rice Cakes

When there’s no time to hit the dining hall for breakfast, you can make this simple and scrumptious rice cake recipe with all your favorite flavors.  Rice cakes are incredibly versatile and low-calorie snacks that lend themselves nicely to combining with other tastes and textures.  For this recipe all you’ll need are rice cakes, almond butter (or a nut-free substitute), your favorite granola, and honey.

1. Take two rice cakes and top each with a scoop of almond butter.  Make sure to spread the almond butter evenly.

2.  Sprinkle some granola over the rice cake.

3.  Drizzle on the honey, or add any other topping you like, and enjoy!

Hummus Platter

Hummus is one of the staples I always like to keep in my fridge becomes it’s such a healthy, filling, and versatile dip!  Experiment with different flavors and try dipping different veggies or chips in to see which combos work!  For this quick and delicious hummus plate, you’ll need hummus, baby carrots, cherry tomatoes, and some pita chips!

1. Place a few spoonfuls of hummus in the center of your plate.

2.  Place the baby carrots, cherry tomatoes, and a small handful of pita chips around the hummus.

3. Dip in and enjoy! 

#Tip: This is perfect for sharing with friends!

Yogurt Parfait

Yogurt parfaits are a great go-to when you’re craving a quick snack, and building your own, as opposed to buying one, can save you from unnecessary added sugars and allow you to choose your favorite ingredients!  If you need inspiration, for this parfait, you’ll need a container of plain yogurt, raspberries, strawberries, dates, coconut flakes, and honey!

1. Place a few spoonfuls of your yogurt in a bowl or a cup. 

#Tip: Using plain yogurt allows you to add your own flavors and sweeteners by starting with a simple base.

2. Chop up your dates and make sure to remove the pits.

#Tip: Dates bring a nice natural sweetness to your parfait!

3. Top your yogurt with your berries, coconut flakes, and chopped dates.

4. Drizzle with honey and enjoy!

All of these recipes are sure to keep your taste buds satisfied, so next time you go to the grocery store, keep these healthy and easy snacks in mind, and stock up on the essentials to turn your dorm room into a gourmet kitchen!

Lexa is a junior at Boston University, studying Journalism in the College of Communication. You can often find her sipping on an iced coffee and trying to take an artsy photo that fits her Instagram aesthetic. Lexa hopes she can someday combine her passions for fashion, art, dance, and writing into a career, but for now, she'll be strolling down Comm Ave trying to make #LifeasLexa a personal brand.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.