Happy National Chocolate Cupcake Day!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

October 18th is known as National Chocolate Cupcake Day, so go out and buy yourself a chocolate cupcake. Or, you can do what I did and buy yourself two chocolate cupcakes!

To celebrate this sweet holiday I took the T over to Quincy Market and bought two cupcakes, also known as fairy cakes or patty cakes (cool, right?). The first was a traditional cupcake from the Carol Ann Bake Shop. It was a chocolate cupcake with chocolate icing, sprinkles, and a plastic Halloween cat decoration. The second was a cupcake in a jar from Wicked Good Cupcakes with chocolate cake and chocolate icing. The pros and cons of each are listed below.

Cupcake from Carol Ann Bake Shop

Pros

– icing was not too sweet

– icing and cake complemented each other

– cake was fresh

– cupcake was a decent size

– reasonable price

– cute / festive decoration

Cons

– The cupcake was packaged in a paper bag and did not travel well

Cupcake in a jar from Wicked Good Cupcakes

Pros

– the cake was fresh – the icing was smooth and creamy

Cons

– too expensive

– icing was on the verge of being too sweet

So, it is a battle of the cupcakes at Quincy Market! In the end, the traditional cupcake from Carol Ann Bake Shop takes the cake.

Not only was the overall appearance and flavor better than the cupcake from Wicked Good Cupcakes, but it was honestly satisfying to peel away the paper. You do not realize how much you enjoy that until you eat a cupcake in a glass jar with a spoon.

If you enjoy chocolate cupcakes, or even just desserts, as much as I do, then head over to Carol Ann Bake Shop at Quincy Market and get yourself a cupcake!

Lauren is a Health Science major on the Pre-Med track at Boston University. She loves anything science and loves writing in her free time. 
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.