Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

Girl Scout Cookie Sales, Dog Therapy, Thai Cultural Night: Events You Need to Go To This Week

Posted Feb 17 2013 - 1:48pm
Event Date & Time: 
Feb 19 2013 - 12:30pm

BU, this may be the most event-filled week – ever. Does anyone want to count the number of events? Check them out, and see which ones you want to attend! Feel free to bookmark and share this page!

ALL WEEK/ONGOING

Alcohol Awareness Week – Join The Center for Gender Sexuality & Activism, and the Alcohol and Drug Accountability Council in a week of events promoting responsibility, reality-based drug and alcohol education and ending rape culture. Follow the hashtag #AAW on Twitter to keep up on updates, and view the full schedule of events.

BU Center for Career Development/Educational Resource Center Workshops – How do you prepare for an interview? What are the best note-taking methods? How do you effectively study for that midterm? Why should you care about “brain food”? Learn all this and much more at CCD/ERC workshops! Check out the full calendar.

Alternative Visions/Sustainable Futures – Starting January 24, the School of Visual Arts and sustainability@BU present a cross-disciplinary and collaborative project that responds to current environmental issues and the potential to affect change through critical dialogue and innovative practices. This multi-tiered project, falling under the thematic umbrella Alternative Visions/Sustainable Futures, encompasses a large-scale exhibition in BU's 808 Gallery that will serve as the project’s hub to convene events, lectures, student-driven educational forums and community outreach.

Colorful Textures: Synaesthesia in Art – View the 8th Annual Juried Student Art Exhibition open from January 24 to February 26 at BU Hillel (213 Bay State Road) on the second and fourth floor galleries from 6 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. Come to enjoy hors d'oeuvres, wine and conversation with the artists, who come from all levels and colleges in the Greater Boston Area. The reception and exhibition are free and open to the public.

Unoffice Hours – Enjoy a free and an informal lunch with various BU staff and faculty throughout the semester. Due to popular demand, only the first 14 students who register will be able to join at most two sessions.

Resume and Cover Letter Review – Applying for an internship or job? Have your resume or cover letter reviewed at the Center for Career Development. Just 15 minutes can make all of the difference! Stop by early if you can — spots are on a first-come, first-served basis. To sign up, go to the sixth floor reception desk beginning at the start of review hours. Please bring a printed copy of your resume or cover letter during available hours.

[pagebreak]

TUESDAY, FEB. 19

Girl Scout Cookie Sales – Support the Girl Scout troops with cookies we all know and love all week from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the GSU Link. Each box of cookies is $4. Cookies include Thanks-A-Lot, Mango Cremes, Lemonades, Shortbread, Thin Mints, Peanut Butter Patties, Caramel deLites and Peanut Butter Sandwich.

Dinner with the Dean: Dean O'Rourke – Have dinner and discuss a topic TBD with School of Law Dean Maurice O'Rourke from 6 p.m. to 7:15 p.m. at BU Hillel (third floor dining hall, 213 Bay State Road).

The Buzz Launch Party – Celebrate the online re-launch of BU's student-run lifestyle publication, The Buzz, from 8 p.m. to 10 p.m. at the 808 Gallery (808 Commonwealth Ave.). Featuring live performances by Frank & Dependent and Mike Chang, with DJ Birchmont, the event is co-sponsored by BU Abroad, with complimentary refreshments. Attire is cocktail/dress to impress.

Free Sunrise Yoga – Take a break from schoolwork with free Pura Vida Kripalu Yoga classes on the top floor (26th!) of StuVi 2 from 7:30 a.m. to 8:30 a.m every Tuesday! Talk about a beautiful view of the sunrise. For BU students and staff of all levels and yoga backgrounds, the yoga classes help relieve some stress and relax your mind and body. Bring a yoga mat and water. Register, and be on your way to a healthier and happier you! If you have any questions, please contact Cristie Siegele at csiegele@bu.edu.

WEDNESDAY, FEB. 20

Monday Schedule of Classes – Because of the President's Day closure on Monday, please remember to substitute your Monday classes today! Your professors should contact you if labs are cancelled or rescheduled.

Her Campus BU Zumba Party – Join us from 6:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. in the SAC Gym (1 University Road) to dance your way into fitness with a Latin-inspired cardio workout. Tickets are $5.

Rescheduled Chinese New Year Celebration – Despite the Nemo snowstorm last week, you can still celebrate the start of the year of the snake (for free!) with BUCSA, Chinese House and the Chinese Department at 5:30 p.m. at the Faculty Dining Room (fifth floor, GSU). Enjoy food from Chinatown's best restaurants and performances by the Kung Fu club, singers, dancers and more.

Redstone Film Festival – Recognized as one of New England’s premiere film and television venues, the Redstone Film Festival from 7 p.m. to 10 p.m. at the Tsai Performance Center (685 Commonwealth Ave.) features film projects written and directed by graduate and undergraduate students from BU’s College of Communication. Each year the highly anticipated festival plays to a sell-out audience of students and friends from across the BU community.

An Evening with Francine Weiss and Ron Cowie – Join an exclusive discussion of The Doors of Perception: Vision and Innovation in Alternative Processes, curated by Francine Weiss and featuring work by Ron Cowie at the Photographic Resource Center Gallery (832 Commonwealth Ave.) from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. Weiss will explore the show’s themes and address the special concerns of collecting alternative process works. Cowie, a master platinum printer and instructor at the New England School of Photography, will discuss how his images celebrate the temporality of life and examine the permanence of change and his techniques for producing prints. Wine and light refreshments will be served. Tickets are $35 for the general public.

“America the Beautiful 2” Film Screening & Discussion – Join Timberline Knolls Residential Treatment Center, Eating for Life Alliance, BU Active Minds and award-winning filmmaker Darryl Roberts from 6 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. at the GSU Conference Auditorium for a screening of “America the Beautiful 2: The Thin Commandments.” This eye-opening documentary film explores some of the ways the diet and weight loss industry exploits our fear of fat, and shows how the struggle to cope with mixed messages about body size, weight and nutrition affects real people.

Mexican Taquiza – Join BU's premier Mexican student group MEAX@BU for a Mexican-style dinner complete with tacos. Doors open at 5:30 p.m. at the BU Hillel (third floor dining hall, 213 Bay State Road).

The Art of Interviewing with Tom Ashbrook – Hear masterful interviewer Tom Ashbrook, host of “On Point,” which originates on WBUR, talk about how he prepares and presents some of the finest hours of intelligent talk on public radio. Ashbrook is one of the guests in a course taught by Andrea Kremer (of NBC, HBO and the NFL Network) devoted to interviewing. This presentation from 4 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. in COM 209 is open to everybody, not just those enrolled in the course.

Boston Startup Tech Talent Fair – Ever wanted to work at a startup? Look for an internship or a full-time job from 3:30 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. at Northeastern University's Cabot Center (400 Huntington Ave.), where companies will be looking for students that are interested in entrepreneurship with skill sets in marketing, design, sales and computer science. Great startups like Carbonite, Kayak, Hubspot and Bullhorn only begin the fantastic lineup of more than 20 startups! Free tickets are limited. RSVP today and learn more about all the tech companies coming.

Pie the Rabbi – Put a pie in Rabbi Beyo's face to raise money for Yad Chessed at 11 a.m. at the GSU.

Jewmba – Every Wednesday from 5 p.m. to 6:45 p.m., get your Zumba dance workout with Jeremy Lowe at the Hillel House (2nd floor, 213 Bay State Road) – and you don't have to be Jewish to Jewmba! Please wear comfortable clothes and sneakers.

Recycling Cafe – Who doesn't want free coffee? Recycle your batteries, small electronics, ink cartridges, Brita filters and florescent light bulbs on Wednesdays from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the GSU Link! Make sure you also bring your own mug to get your free coffee, courtesy of BU Dining Services.

[pagebreak]

THURSDAY, FEB. 21

Thai Cultural Night – Enjoy delicious authentic thai food, including Pad Thai, Basil Fried Rice, Vegetable Cashew Stirfry, Thai dessert, Thai iced tea and much more, from 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. at Metcalf Hall (second floor, GSU). Tickets are $7 (credit/debit ONLY) and will be sold at the door. Enjoy special performances and activities, including the Pad Thai Eating Competition and Thai Jeopardy.

Film Screening + Director Talk: Mother Calling. Kali in Karachi – From 3:30 p.m. to 5 p.m. in CAS 225, Jürgen Schaflechner presents his documentary on the Devipujak-Vagris of Karachi, a small Hindu community that worships a Mother Goddess. This documentary portrays the communities’ daily life and focuses on their desire to return home.

Squeeze Box Stories – Despite its stigmatized reputation as a quirky and corny musical instrument in the U.S., the accordion is ubiquitous throughout the world. Professor Abe, co-producer of the NPR radio documentary “Squeezebox Stories,” will speak at 5:30 p.m. in CAS 200 about thinking “through the musical instrument” about distinct transcultural processes in the lives of immigrant communities in the U.S., and what it means to explore the social life of a musical instrument.

Tavlithon – Join student group members from 5 p.m. to 10 p.m. at the Faculty Dining Room (fifth floor, GSU) for a backgammon tournament.

Vegan Healing and Spirituality – Join Janet McKee and the BU Vegetarian Society in a film screening of “Bethany's Story” and discussion at 6 p.m. in room 106 at the Kenmore Classroom Building.

Getting a Grip: Mastering Your Sexuality – Join the Voices for Planned Parenthood from 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. at CGSA (lower level, GSU) for an interactive lecture on developing your sexual self-understanding: from becoming comfortable with what you want to learning how to communicate those desires to partners.

Courageous Dialogues – Starting January 31, participate in intimate conversations about race, class and gender Thursdays from 5:30 p.m. to 7 p.m. at the Howard Thurman Center. Registration is required.

Coffee and Conversation with Rabbi Beyo – Have you ever wanted to ask a Rabbi a question? Do you need advice? How about simply just to chat? Engage and learn about whatever is on your mind, or get to know Rabbi Beyo Thursdays from 4 p.m. to 5 p.m at the Hillel House (213 Bay State Road). Make an appointment or drop in on the rabbi’s 1st floor office for a conversation!

Tora Dojo Karate – Join the BU chapter of Tora Dojo karate Thursdays from 8 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. in the Hillel Dining Hall (213 Bay State Road). Tora Dojo incorporates Jewish ideals in a Shotokan-like style of karate. Open to everyone, regardless of skill level. Please wear loose-fitting clothing.

FRIDAY, FEB. 22

NightMarket – Enjoy Taiwanese food, bubble tea, photo booth, fun and games from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. at the Metcalf Hall (second floor, GSU) with BU's Taiwanese-American Student Association. Tickets are $10 and will be sold online soon. $12 at the door, and $8 for groups of 15+.

Japanese English Lunch Exchange – Meet BU students who are studying Japanese and Japanese students who are studying English from 12:15 p.m. to 2 p.m. in the GSU Food Court. This is an informal lunch and talk to meet BU students interested in Japanese and American culture and language.

Free Search Marketing Industry Summit – Join the Search Engine Marketing Professionals Organization (SEMPO) Boston, in partnership with Google, Inc., for a free one-day summit at the SMG Dining Room (fourth floor) to learn the search marketing industry from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. The summit features educational presentations, workshops and panels composed of leading and local search engine marketing professionals and offer students an inside look at the field. Speakers include representatives from Google, Gupta Media, Metropolis Creative, Microsoft, Rimm-Kaufman Group and Staples. Open to all current undergraduate and graduate students. RSVP via CareerLink.

Dog Therapy – It's that time again! De-stress from midterms by playing with certified therapy dogs from noon to 2 p.m. at CAS 213 and CAS 216.

Rescheduled Study Abroad Spring Expo – Find out where you could be living, studying, and interning this upcoming summer and fall. Join BU Study Abroad staff and directors (from Buenos Aires, Los Angeles and Rio de Janeiro) for an informal conversation on all of your study abroad options from noon to 3 p.m. in the GSU Link. Come learn about the new 2013 summer programs from Dakar to Washington, DC to Zanzibar!

Gun Control Forum – Are existing laws sufficient? How do we make safer firearms? Does gun control violate our rights? Discuss all this and more with panelists from noon to 1 p.m. at the BU Medical Campus. RSVP to jvbrown@bu.edu.

Terrier Track New Venture Workshops – The Terrier Track Workshops are designed to more deeply explore issues and challenges that you face as you launch and grow your company. They will be held every 2 weeks on Fridays from 3 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. in SMG 326. Open to BU graduate and undergraduate students and alumni. There is a $10 fee to cover the cost of all material. This is due at the time of registration and can be paid online when you register.

Literary Translation Seminar – Fridays from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m., join guest lecturers from a variety of backgrounds and practical and theoretical approaches to translation, as part of a full-scale academic seminar and free public-speaker series, open to the public. See the full list of speakers.

Agora: the Mind Market – Join the Howard Thurman Center for Common Ground in the basement level of the GSU every Friday from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m. to discuss a timely and interesting topic, which are posted on its site only the day before.

Doers Makers Innovators: Making Google's Magic More Magical – Hear how Google products solve the world's problems, from the everyday to the epic from 11 a.m. to noon at COM 209. Speaker Ben Malbon, managing director of Google's Creative Lab, shares innovations, intentions and ideals from the the writers, programmers, filmmakers and producers who create the magic.

[pagebreak]

SATURDAY, FEB. 23

PR Advanced: Embrace the Possibilities – Find your career path balance at the seventh annual professional development conference from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. at the Photonics Center (8 St. Mary's Street). Tickets are $35 for PRSSA members and $45 otherwise. Register online.

Night Skiing with BU CSA – Ready to speed down the slopes? Never been skiing? No worries! Join BU Chinese Student Association on an evening ski trip to Wachusett Mountain Summit from 3 p.m. to 11 p.m. Tickets are $77, which includes the six-hour ski pass, equipment rentals and transportation.

Masquerade Mayhem Purim Party with DJ M2 – Enjoy hamentashen, cupcakes and a 21+ cash bar at the fourth annual Boston Purim Party from 9 p.m. to midnight at the Hyatt Regency (575 Memorial Drive, Cambridge). Tickets are $20 and will be sold at the BU Hillel reception, GSU Link and online. $25 at the door.

European Career Fair – Want to work or study in Europe? Looking for a full-time job, internship or a study program? Discover the many opportunities that companies, academic institutions and non-profit organizations from Europe have to offer you from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. at MIT's Johnson Athletics Center at the 17th European Career Fair, the largest career fair of its kind in the U.S. with more than 100 participating organizations and more than 5,000 registered candidates.

BU Bike's Bicycle Mechanics Class – Every Saturday from 1 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. in CAS B20, with make-up classes on Mondays from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. in CAS B18A, learn about the basic mechanics of bikes, including the parts and derailleurs and shifting. Interested in volunteering? Email Ben Goodman at bengood@bu.edu.

SUNDAY, FEB. 24

The Dance NetwerkShops – They're back! Learn from 25 of Boston's top dancers in hip hop, contemporary, jazz and lyrical in a series of master classes, sponsored by the collegiate dance community, from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. at the SAC Gym (1 University Road). Find out how you can host a Dance Netwerkshop by emailing thedncrew@dancenetwerk.com.

Model Auditions – Want to model for the Fashion and Retail Association's Spring Fashion Show? Wear heals and form-fitting clothing, with your hair pulled back to audition from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. at SAC Gym (1 University Road).

MONDAY, FEB. 25

Make a Difference Monday – Bobby Kennedy once said, “The purpose of life is to contribute in some way to making things better.” Use this day to contribute to this idea. Every week this semester, BU Dining Services will be holding Make a Difference Monday across campus. This day can be a way for you to learn how you can improve your carbon footprint, how to eat locally and how you can really “Make a Difference.”

TED Talks Night – Aimed at fostering collaboration between student organizations on campus, each group will choose a TED Talk that best aligns with their mission, and then they will introduce and screen their video from 8 p.m. to 10 p.m. in CAS B25B.

Bystander Training – When you see something wrong, is it your responsibility to intervene? Talk to reps from the Sexual Assault Response and Prevention Center from 7 p.m. to 8 p.m. at CAS B12 and learn how to handle stressful/dangerous situations that may arise. Learn about the role of the bystander, the facilitator and the perpetrator and how you can make the world a safer space.

NEXT WEEK: ASB Pre-Break Block Party, Back Bay Ball, Night at the PRC, BU Jazz Jam Session

Rep photo by BU CGSA. Text photos by CGSA, Kappa Delta, The Buzz and BU CSA.