“Getting away” without going anywhere

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

It’s that time of the year again—so close to Thanksgiving break yet so overwhelmed with papers, exams and the general stresses of college life. A vacation couldn’t come soon enough, but with a week left before Thanksgiving break it still feels forever away. However, there are plenty of ways to escape from the anxieties of everyday college life, starting with taking a day to send yourself on a mini-vacation without leaving the comfort of your own home.

First thing’s first: eliminate the sources of your stress. Make sure you’ve gotten all of your work out of the way so you can kick back and relax.

Also avoid social media sites like Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. Some studies suggest that social media sites cause anxiety and depression, so take a day—or even a few hours—off.

Pamper yourself—you deserve it! Start by taking a hot bath or shower and follow with a facemask and manicure/pedicure. Put on some comfortable clothes and make yourself a hot cup of tea.

Snack on something good—because when your body’s happy, you’re happy. Make a good meal or order in from your favorite restaurant. After all, it’s called “comfort food” for a reason.

Sit down and watch a good movie. Maybe even call up some girlfriends to join you. Vegging out to a chick flick is a great way to take your mind off of things and muster up a much-needed laugh or two.

Pick up a hobby you’ve neglected. Maybe it’s drawing, reading, or writing poetry. Whatever it may be, you did it for a reason. Taking some time out to do things that you love is a great way to relieve stress.

Listen to music. Make a playlist of songs that make you happy or bring back good memories. Listening to music has been shown to reduce anxiety and can easily put you in a calmer state of mind.

Take a quick nap. Sometimes a quick power nap is just what you need. Between staying up late, waking up early, and doing homework it’s easy to get sleep-deprived. Taking a nap not only helps you catch up on rest, but also gives your mind the boost it needs to make it through the day.

Photo from http://www.crillon.com/luxury-hotel/hotel-relaxation.html

Elyssa is a "New Yourker" who has somehow ended up in Boston. She is currently studying journalism at Boston University and is excited to be the Campus Correspondent for the BU branch of Her Campus! She also enjoys theatre, frozen yogurt, and obsessively watching "Dancing with the Stars." When not doing any of above, she can be found quoting "Pirates of the Caribbean."