Five Tips For Sticking To Your Resolutions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

As we put the holidays behind us and look forward to a great year in 2018, we must not forget the resolutions we have made for ourselves. We’re all pretty well-versed in the idea of resolutions, but we know the tale of not sticking to them far too well.  Resolutions are not only ideas and goals that will benefit us, but they teach us how to commit to something we’re passionate about or really want.  Whether you’re committed to health or not letting the haters get to you, it can be hard to follow through with them.  While it’s difficult, it’s really important to stick to your resolutions, so here are some helpful tips to stay committed.

1. Make realistic resolutions.

It’s great to dream big, but when you dream too big it’s harder to follow through with it. Start small and work your way up. 

2. Talk through your struggles.

The ability to talk through your issues can be a lifesaver.  Each resolution has its ups and downs, but if you talk about what is bothering you with a supportive friend or family member, it can keep you on track and accountable. For example, if your resolution was to not text your f*ckboy from last semester, you should find yourself a friend that can take your phone away or delete his number.

3. Buddy up.

When committing to a resolution, you should find a friend that can do it with you.  Whether you’re trying to eat healthier or watch less TV, you should get a partner who can join you on your journey because you can support each other.  Everything is easier when a friend is with you.

4. Make a plan

Similar to making a plan for the semester, making a plan for your resolution can only benefit you. Organizing yourself and creating an agenda almost forces you into a routine which will help you better stay more committed to yourself and your resolution.  

5. Don’t worry if you fall off the wagon

Like I mentioned before, it’s easy to fall off the track. You can’t let this get you down if it happens. You should not be discouraged when you steer away from your resolutions.  Instead, you should get back up and start again. If you are truly committed to completing your resolution, nothing should stand in your way.

If you’re like me and struggle with sticking to your New Year’s resolution, remember it’s okay to lean on other people for help.  You should start with a small goal and work your way up to your end goal, whatever that may be.  The good thing about resolutions is there is no timeline and you can start and stop whenever you choose!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

I am a senior studying broadcast journalism at Boston University
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.