Five Gluten-Free Snacks from Trader Joe’s: A Review

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

I’m gluten-free, which is a real bummer sometimes. I feel super self-conscious about it when my friends order pizza or Insomnia. I’ve recently been on the hunt for yummy gluten-free snacks I can keep in my dorm room that can compare to regular, flour-made food. With a little help from my friends, I’ve taste-tested some of Trader Joe’s best products, both purposefully gluten-free and coincidentally gluten-free, so you don’t have to.

Trader Joe’s Gluten-Free Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cookies

Calories per serving: 110

Oh, my goodness. These cookies are so moist, which is rare in the gluten-free world! Usually gluten-free cookies are dry, crumbly and not worth it. These are good for a night when all your friends order Insomnia Cookies, and you’re sad because you can’t partake in the fun. For 110 calories, it’s a steal!

Trader Joe’s California Apricots

Calories per serving: 110

I think California apricots are far superior to Turkish apricots, which tend to be too sweet for my taste buds. These apricots are just the right mixture of chewy and tart. Apricots are high on the glycemic index, which means the food in question spikes your blood sugar. This can, in some people, cause breakouts. However, for the gluten-free crowd, California apricots can replace fruit-filled pastries and crepes and boil down into a yummy sauce for yogurt and granola.

Gluten-free Joe Joe’s

Calories per serving: 130

It’s a wanna-be Oreo, and the frosting doesn’t taste like anything. What a disappointment! The taste is chalky, and the cookie leaves a weird residue in my mouth. The cookie isn’t as dense as an Oreo, and it’s crumbly like most gluten-free cookies. My friend Olivia put it best: “If you took rocks back from the moon, I’d imagine they’d taste better than this.” Enough said.

Trader Joe’s Organic Popcorn with Olive Oil

Calories per serving: 130

This popcorn is so good! It tastes the same as other popcorn, but it’s made with olive oil. Olive oil is beneficial for your heart, skin, and hair. We all know popcorn is a healthier snack than chips, but the best part about this popcorn is that no microwave is needed! The bag is a super pretty green color, and the popcorn is organic which is a nice bonus.

Trader Joe’s Rainbow’s End Trail Mix

Calories per serving: 150

This trail mix actually yummy. I’m not much for trail mix because I hate raisins, but among this mixture of peanuts, almonds, and chocolate, the raisins work. This is an easy snack for girls on the go. The healthy fats from the nuts and the sweet mix of chocolate make a nice pair. This trail mix is ideal for keeping your metabolism up throughout the day, and preventing yourself from getting too hungry (or hangry).

So, whether or not you’re gluten-free, Trader Joe’s has fantastic options for everyone!

Hometown: St. Paul, MN City Editor at the BU Buzz
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.