F*ck Cancer: Party for a Cause

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

As college students, we tend to feel pretty independent. We have broken away from our childhoods, see our family and hometowns just a few times a year, and use our time independently, making our own hours for studying, attending meetings, and getting together with friends.  We are, as young adults, significantly autonomous. And it is this self-government of our lives which may make us forget that we are sometimes not in control of our own bodies and what may happen to us.

It has unfortunately come to my attention recently that 72,000 adolescents and young adults are diagnosed with cancer each year, and one of these beautiful souls who’s life was changed by that diagnosis, is a Junior named Ali Giacose. She was diagnosed with a rare, aggressive type of cervical cancer that only occurs in 1% of patients. At just twenty-one years old, Ali is now fighting for her life, along with the support of good friends, family, and, most of all, her loving boyfriend Corey Picciuto.

Picciuto is a Senior at BU within the Questrom School of Business, with a concentration in Finance. He is also a cadet within Army ROTC and a member of Sigma Alpha Mu. In fact, one of his favorite memories with Ali was this past summer as he was at Fort Knox for Army ROTC training. He had his cell phone taken from him during this time, so he had to send letters back and forth with Ali; these letters and the anticipation of seeing her truly strengthened their relationship. He was able to further inform me on Ali’s unfortunate situation.

He says with pride, “through everything, Ali has been extremely positive and has never doubted herself. She is a truly amazing girl and she has made such a terrible situation positive.”

Indeed, this young New Yorker, founder and President of the Psychology club on campus, is quite the positive person, currently baring through a 29 week treatment plan which will end in September. After two heavy cycles of chemotherapy with 20 hours of chemo each week, she is now down to 10 hours of chemo each week, treatments which have required her to take her Spring Semester off. Yet through these exhausting days, Ali finds the time to blog and finds the courage to believe that she can and will beat this cancer.

“Ali is a very strong, independent woman. I’m pretty sure she could beat me up, even though she’s 5’1”,” says Picciuto, smiling. 

Ali would be described as a huge animal advocate and fitness lover. Just like most college students, she is inspired by great food and better travel. She loves getting outside, and she seems to get good vibes from just standing in the sun. Corey is reminded of their vacation in Del-ray beach FL this past Spring Break, where her positivity truly seemed to grow the most. 

Through these devastatingly hard times, there are always time for a few laughs. Picciuto reveals that, at the moment, his room has become a wig parlor. 

“She can have any hair style she wants any day. This means my roommates and I can also have whatever hairstyle we want to have each day!”

All jokes aside, Ali has been responding miraculously well to the treatment thus far, and the cancer is dissipating from her body while her 8 cm tumor is shrinking. Once she beats this, her doctors have admitted that there is a chance that the cancer can return within three years of treatment. However, Corey remains positive along with his girlfriend.

He keeps his chin up, strongly believing that, “regardless, she will always fight and beat it, and live a healthy lifestyle to ensure it wont return.”

Ali feels overwhelmingly loved by all of the support that she has been receiving. One of the best ways to support her is coming up just tomorrow. On Thursday April 9th, Corey Picciuto set up an event called the “F*ck Cancer” Party at Storyville.  Functioning as a fundraiser, 100% of ticket sales and proceeds from the bar/tables will be donated to Ali’s medical fund. Ali and her boyfriend have had a lot of great companies/people sponsor and help put this event together including: Tablelist, Storyville, Joey Anolik Photography, Kitchensurfing, as well as independent party bus operators who have provided them with five free party buses for transportation. There is expected to be a very high turn out and hopefully a lot of money can be raised towards helping Ali pay for her treatment. A separate donation option will also be set up for Ali on Tablelist to avoid the $0.50 and 8% fee GiveForward takes out of every donation.

In the end, it is difficult to write an article about cancer and to find the right words. As college students, we do tend to focus on ourselves, with our independent lifestyles. We must remember that nothing is permanent, we can be uprooted, and our lives can change. As young and healthy as we are, we are not invincible. So take a moment out of your day, buy a ticket, attend a party, and F*ck Cancer.

Check out Facebook to find details on the Storyville F*ck Cancer party: https://www.facebook.com/events/947635135271214/

Be sure to send donations to Ali for medical expenses using her GiveForward page: https://www.giveforward.com/fundraiser/rsj7/ali-s-journey-back-to-health?utm_source=facebook

And follow Ali’s personal blog: http://thealigshowwww.tumblr.com/

Shannon Stocks is a Junior at Boston University in the Sargent School for Health Sciences, majoring in Speech Language and Hearing Sciences. She has always loved to write and focuses this passion on her poetry. In her free time, you can find her at spin class on Newbury Street, working on a project in the community service center, or at the Hillel House. She loves being a part of the Her Campus Team!
Summer is a Boston University graduate ('15) that received a BS in Journalism with a concentration in magazine journalism. Her interests include editorial design and lifestyle, fashion, and beauty content, as she aspires to be a fashion magazine writer and editor. She is currently a fashion and beauty writer for Bustle.com and previously served as a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Boston University. Summer likes to think of herself as a lipstick enthusiast and smoothie connoisseur, so when she isn't writing for Bustle, you could probably find her sipping on a strawberry-banana smoothie and planning her next purchases at Sephora. Follow Summer on Twitter @SummerArlexis