Eat, Pray, Love: Maneesha’s Declassified College Survival Guide To Surviving Freshman Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

The world of college life is one that is not easily navigated, and it is very easily thrown off balance by a heady mixture of hormones, stress and newfound freedom. There are so many things to try, learn, and fail at. Now that you’ve graduated from the soul-crushing, stereotype-adhering colossal confusion that is high school, the world is, quite un-ironically, your oyster. 

However, keep in mind that you still need to cautiously navigate this whirlwind of four hectic but exciting years. Think of it as a Ned’s Declassified School Survival Guide ala college. Just follow these three sound pieces of advice and you should do fine.

1. Pray: Always Start Your Assignments As Soon As They Are Due

Trust me, the weekend always seems longer than it is. It’s probably not a good idea to start writing that ten page paper on how Van Gogh represents astronomical figures in his painting the night before it’s due. Why? I don’t know, maybe because it’s 10 pages? It’s all fun and games until everyone’s texting each other in the class group chat you guys have about how they’re so glad they started a week earlier because it turns out it takes a while to get down more than one page about a super obscure topic. This is where the power of prayer probably won’t help you unless you start that paper with sufficient time and a healthy amount of coffee. You could always drop by Marsh Chapel, as I have done, to pray for some extra motivation and inspiration to help you through the torture of typing that is to come though!

2. Eat: Healthily and Regularly

Don’t try the new fad diet that your friend claims is going to help you lose those stubborn 5 pounds because it never does. Obviously, don’t overindulge every single time you walk by the pizza station in the dining hall but don’t starve your self either. Both will lead to breakouts and just mess with your health in general. With finals coming up, you can’t afford to be sick and lying on your bed with endless cups of Emergen-C on your bedside table. 

3. Love: Don’t Be Afraid, But Don’t Rush! 

My love life prior to college has been pretty non-existent and the few blips in the pattern of monotony that have happened in college have been quite disappointing. So, I am perfectly qualified to give all of you love advice! Jokes aside though, don’t be afraid to ask that cute guy/girl out to dinner or a movie. Just make sure you protect your heart and try not to catch feelings too easily. Easier said than done, I know, but I guarantee that if you take the time to really get to know someone before you dive into a relationship with them, things will work out better. 

So freshmen and freshwomen, let us brave the challenges that lie before us with these handy tips in mind and hang on tight for a rollercoaster of a semester!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

The quintessential English major who's obsessed with coffee, Orange Is The New Black, puppies, babies and also human rights (coz those are important). She can usually be found trying to convince people that she's actually a college student or eating at Panda Express. In her spare time, she also enjoys arguing about whether or not Kanye West is a genius or overrated. Follow her on instagram @dahappytoad .
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.