This Dry Shampoo Is Weird and You Need To Try It

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

If you’re a big Kardashian fan like I am, you’ll know that celebrity hairstylist Jen Atkin is responsible for their beautiful flowing tresses. She also works on celebs from the likes of Chrissy Teigen, Lorde, Katy Perry, and more. Recently, Atkin released her new hair product line: Ouai Haircare for the girl who wants effortlessly chic and easy hair on the go. As a college student who doesn’t think there are enough hours in the day, dry shampoo is one of my life savers for clean, lived-in hair.

Over spring break, I found myself completely out of dry shampoo, so I wandered over to my local Sephora to discover that Ouai just came out with a dry shampoo foam. “A foam?!” you may ask? YES! This dry shampoo is not your classic aerosol spray dry shampoo. In fact, it’s the texture of a mousse. Sephora’s website describes it as a “quick-drying, waterless cleansing foam that removes oil, product excess, and buildup. Perfect for second, third, or fourth day hair, it leaves strands feeling cleansed, conditioned, and ready to be re-styled as desired.” I was instantly intrigued by how weird this hair product was, and like any experience of wonder at Sephora, I found it in my basket. Cha-Ching.

Finally, it came to the point where I hadn’t washed my hair in two days and I decided to give this product a go. At first, it was really scary. I was putting a soapy mousse in my roots. What if it made it greasier? What if it made my hair even worse? I started nervously massaging a golf ball size of the product into my roots. Before I knew it, the product had completely absorbed and my hair looked like I had just washed it. It felt cleaner than when I had used previous dry shampoos because it’s a step above that — it’s a waterless cleanser! My hair had volume and texture! I was so surprised that I made my two best friends, Jen and Ashley, try it. Jen went and bought it the next day and Ash was floored by the results!

To show you how the product works, my beautiful bestie Jen Margolis is going to take you through her hair journey on a Saturday night!

Jen hasn’t washed her hair in a few days and here she is before she goes out tonight.

Jen’s back from her event and she had a great time! Her hair is feeling dirty since she hasn’t washed it since Thursday, but she’s too tired to wash it so she’s going to use Ouai’s dry shampoo foam. Going out to a party on a Saturday night with a ton of people is a predicament in which your hair can be at its dirtiest!

Use a golf ball size and rub in between your palms to evenly distribute the product before you put it in your hair. Now go to town and massage the product into your scalp! Use quick motions. The more you rub it in the better.

Look at that beauty! You wouldn’t have even thought that her hair needed to be washed.

One final tip! If you aren’t sure about buying a full sized product, buy the travel sized version first. It’s cheaper and will easily fit in your purse or backpack on the go! Sephora and Ouai both carry a travel sized version, but it’s in a set for $34 featuring their wave spray as well. You can buy it here.

You can buy Ouai’s Dry Shampoo Foam for $28 at Sephora and at Ouai’s website.

Got a weird product you want me to test out? Email me at margoghertner@gmail.com! The weirder the better!

Margo Ghertner is the Editor-in-Chief for Her Campus Boston University. When the Nashville-native isn't writing and helping the other HCBU teams execute their projects, you can find her listening to business podcasts, baking, reading, and spending time with her friends.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.