rodion kutsaev 8P uQaTd8rw unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
rodion kutsaev 8P uQaTd8rw unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Don’t Panic: The Guide to Anxiety in Finals Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

It’s done. You just typed out the last letter on my final paper for the first of many classes. Finally, you can take a break. Or at least that’s what you tell yourself. Before you can finish a drink of fresh water, mistakes are popping out at you from the screen. You realize you don’t have enough time to fix and finish everything because you spent too much time procrastinating with your lover, Netflix. Sweat wells up in your palms; you wipe it off on your pants and press print before running it over to class to turn it into your teacher or hitting ‘submit’ on your computer. Then, when you think you’ve finally gotten something behind you, it hits.

The panic attack. Have you ever experienced one? Even if you don’t know anyone who has had one, it’s not too hard to imagine. Your heart starts beating uncontrollably out of your chest. You sweat, feel extremely hot and even nauseous. You feel an intense urge to escape and run away as if you’ve been suddenly plunged into a terrifying life-or-death situation. And this could all very well be happening in the quiet, peaceful library with hundreds of students working calmly around you.

In that moment, one of the best (and only) things you can really do is be prepared. Don’t do what I did when I was a sophomore and go to the hospital two times in a week for thinking I was having a heart attack and dying, only to find out I was totally fine, just stressed and left with a multi-hundred-dollar copay.

Instead, there are plenty of other options awaiting you. The best thing to realize before anything else is that you are most definitely not alone in this. Finals season is like an optimal breeding ground for panic attacks and general anxiety, so take the time and care to make sure you are ready.

Remember that one in six college students have been diagnosed with anxiety, according to a 2015 national college survey by the American College Health Association. This is actually a relatively common issue (sadly), but that just means you shouldn’t be embarrassed to talk about it at all. Tell your friends! Talk it out. Let them know what you need from them, whether it be a hug, a night in, or prepare them as well for if you have a panic attack. What helps you to calm down in that situation?

For me, I get a friend to squeeze me really tight. It helps me feel grounded again and safe in such a tight hug from someone who I trust and love. Then, I drink cold water and focus on slowing my breathing down. I also try running my hands and fingers under cold water and focus on the feeling of the water and the temperature. It helps with feeling grounded as well as distracting your racing mind.

Beyond the physical coping mechanisms, be sure not to neglect your mental coping skills. These skills don’t need to wait to be used until a panic attack is in full swing! Prepare by going to see a therapist, writing your thoughts and feelings down in a journal, or even just calling your Mom. Look at photos or videos of puppies for the time being to help you remember good and happy thoughts.

Finals season is worth it in the end, which is why we struggle to get through it. Once you’ve got that degree, you’ll look back and be glad you put in the efforts to get through the hard times. You’ve got this!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Rebecca is a Senior at BU studying Journalism and Psychology. She is a Slytherin with a passion for investigative reporting.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.