DIY Gifts for Best Friends

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

We all know the fear that comes from trying to find a birthday gift for a friend when you’re on a budget! There’s only so much you can buy with dining points, right? Well, tell your best friend you care with these gifts you can put together for $5 or less. All you will need is a trip to your local hardware store (check out the cute one on Newbury Street). 

1.     Zoey 101 Key Necklaces

Take a note from Jamie Lynn Spears (a.k.a Zoey) and jazz up two old keys to make into friendship necklaces. Hardware stores usually print your keys for a few bucks. Simply add nail polish and rhinestones for personalization! 

2.     Classic Crafted Frame

Everyone loves dorm decorations. And what better to give to a friend on their birthday than a personalized frame (try CVS) of one of your favorite memories? Nail polish, rhimestones, beads, buttons and whatever tiny fun pieces you can find in your drawer work well for added bling. Ask a neighbor for some crazy glue!

3.     Coca-Cola Bottle Cap Earrings

IF YOUR FRIEND IS A HIPSTER: Try your hardware/crafts store for earring backs (they usually come cheap in a set of a few) and grab two classic coke bottles. Use a needle to poke two holes in the top of the caps where the ridges are, and feed the earring backs through. Voila! A perfect birthday gift they’ll get great use of. (Bottle Cap necklaces are also a cool gift.)

4.     Decorated Coca-Cola Bottle

Grab a classic coke bottle, nice and old-fashioned, and do what those old infomercials always told us to: Bedazzle! Add rhimestones, paint with polish, glue on beads and trinkets to your liking. Then slip your birthday note in the bottle! You could even add fake or real flowers to create a unique vase!

5.     Candy-Filled Mason Jar

If your friend has a serious sweet tooth, grab a mason jar for a few bucks. Then stuff it with their favorite candies! It’s cute, easy, and shows you know what they love! Plus, it will be great for the next time you’re binge eating and watching Netflix (tomorrow).

Happy crafting!

https://www.linkedin.com/pub/julia-buckley/99/27b/1b9