This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

The holiday season is here! No matter what you celebrate, one of the best parts of the season is undoubtedly decorating! Even at school, I love seeing my dorm room all decked out for one of my favorite holidays of the year. And it’s not too hard to have a fun, festive dorm without going broke in the process. Here are some tips to decorate for Christmas on a budget:

Check out CVS for all your candle needs.

The CVS Christmas aisle is a great place to find quick and cheap gifts, candy and decorations. These candles are less than three dollars, and they come in three Christmas scents. These are great because they let off a subtle smell that isn’t strong enough to give you a headache.

Utilize Pier One.

Pier One Imports is the number one place to go for all your decorating needs – and Christmas is no exception! The store is full of cute, inexpensive decorations for any sized room. Take for example this candle holder. You can put a tea light in it for a pretty glow when it gets dark, which happens much earlier than usual now that we’re in the middle of winter.

These stars were 12 for $10, and they’re my favorite piece of décor in my room. Attach strings to them and hang them from the celling to add a charming feel to your dorm.

Stock Up on Gel Clings.

Gel clings are great because they can be hung up pretty much anywhere – windows, walls, doors, you name it. My roommates and I like to hang ours on our front door. It’s a fun greeting and lets the rest of our floor know that we’re ready for the holidays!

Hang Stockings.

This is a simple yet festive staple of holiday décor. Hang it on your front door to give a warm welcome to everyone coming and going from your room.

Drink Chai Tea (all day, every day).

Every college student should have a box of Chai in their room during the holiday season. With spices like cinnamon and ginger, Chai tastes just like Christmas in a cup. This is especially nice when you come back after trekking from class in the freezing Boston cold!

Decorating for the holidays doesn’t have to break the bank. Follow these tips, and you can give your dorm the cute Christmas look to distract yourself from your upcoming finals. Good luck, and happy holidays, collegiettes!

Jessica is a senior at Boston University, studying in the School of Communication with a major in Mass Communication, a minor in Cinema & Media Studies and is on the Pre-Law Track. She made the move from Westchester, NY to Boston, and is living in a constant fear of the impending winter. When not in class, she could be found obsessing over Harry Potter or Buffy the Vampire Slayer, making poorly timed puns, or drinking an excess of tea.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.