Crystal’s Bucket List: Splitting the Atom

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

This year, we’ve asked three girls–Crystal, Anya and Lexi to create a Bucket List and update us on their progress over the course of the year. We are happy start off the series with Crystal’s Bucket List and her first update!

Crystal’s List
1. Run the entirety of the Mass Ave bridge without stopping (for the second time). See here!
2. Successfully bake a lemon cheesecake with blueberry ganache (long story).
3. Go to a concert at the House of Blues OR go to a poetry slam at the Lizard Lounge.
4. Perform a song at an open mic in Boston.

I went to STK Rooftop, NYC, over the summer with my mom and my cousin and for some reason became inspired to recreate every dish I ate there that night. But then reality struck like lightening and I decided instead to set a reachable goal: the delicious blueberry and lime cheesecake. Sounds simple enough, right? Well my dearest collegiettes, correctly splitting an egg is right up there splitting the atom for me. (Executive Chef Humberto Leon, I am certainly not). That being said, successfully making a cheesecake would be a huge accomplishment in my book.

One weekend, a few friends and I planned a potluck and I decided to make it a cheesecake night. I remembered the sweetest KISS: keep it simple, sweetie. For scrumptious lime infused blueberry cheesecake without the Martha Stewart touch, you’ll need:

• 1 Keebler Graham Cracker Pie Crust
  • 1 Jell-O No-Bake Cheesecake package (and about 2 cups of Silk milk)
  • 1 package of organic blueberries
  • 1 lime

I followed the instructions, put my no-bake cheesecake in the fridge, and waited. Literally hours later, my cake still hadn’t set! No exaggeration, I had to put my cake in the freezer overnight until I was finally able to share out slices the following evening. Apparently, even “no-bake” cooking is a struggle to me. Either way, at least I can say I made a cheesecake and it was good! So even when you think you can’t-do, try. And when your cheesecake won’t set, so to speak, shove it in the freezer and make it work. You’ll have something delectable to look forward to the next day, and in the days to come.

Kisses and Cake,

Crystal-Angelee Burrell.

Elyssa is a "New Yourker" who has somehow ended up in Boston. She is currently studying journalism at Boston University and is excited to be the Campus Correspondent for the BU branch of Her Campus! She also enjoys theatre, frozen yogurt, and obsessively watching "Dancing with the Stars." When not doing any of above, she can be found quoting "Pirates of the Caribbean."