Style > Beauty

Collegiate Beauty Hacks That’ll Ensure You Slay, Even For An 8 a.m.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

As a college student, you learn a lot; but that’s the point of college, right? The most important skill you will learn aside from how to cram for an exam is how to function on practically little to no sleep because the later you go to sleep at night, the harder it is to part with your bed in the morning. That’s just the way it is.

No matter how many times we say, “I’ll wake up at least an hour before class so that I have time to get ready,” we never stick to it. Who would? No one wants to trade the warm love of their bed to paint their face with makeup at 7 A.M., and if they say they do, they’re lying to your face. Rather than preaching about how you should get yourself out of bed earlier, here’s how to get ready faster and more efficiently, because you deserve every moment of beauty rest possible!  

1. Wash your face with a gentle exfoliating cleanser. 

Using cold water will awaken your skin while adding a natural glow to your face. 

1. Concealer is your friend, not your enemy. 

Using a concealer one shade lighter than your skin tone under your eyes will do wonders. Draw a triangle under each of your eyes, the bases running parallel to your nose and your eye. With your ring finger, pat the product into your skin. This will illuminate your eyes while also combating any dark circles. 

1. Put some life back into your face! 

Lightly sweep some blush on the apples of your cheeks to add some color to your face. Looking slightly flushed will allow you to look more awake and alert.  

1. No spider lashes here! 

Apply a thin coat of mascara to your lashes, top and bottom. This will open up your eyes and make them appear bigger and more awake. Avoid black eyeliner, it will only make your eyes appear smaller and droopier. A nude or white eyeliner will brighten up the whites of your eyes and will make your eyes look bigger. 

1. A little lip product never hurt anybody. 

Using a lightly tinted lip balm from a tin will look natural and gorgeous. Dabbing the color onto your lips will allow for more of an “I woke up like this” look rather than an “I just applied lip gloss for an 8 A.M. lecture” look.  

1. Avoid baggy clothes. 

Ladies, while sweats are always tempting, it isn’t the right choice in the long run. At 8 A.M. it seems like a great idea, but come noon when your energy kicks in, you’ll wish you were wearing a cute outfit. You don’t need to be dressed to the nines, comfort and cuteness, despite popular belief, can in fact go hand-in-hand. Looking put-together will give off the impression that you were up early, and people will envy you for having your life together.  

Jamie is a freshman in the Boston University College of Communication with the intention of obtaining a degree in Journalism. Her main interests include beauty and lifestyle content, as she seeks to use her extensive knowledge in the beauty industry to help out other girls and spread self-confidence. She hopes to have a career in the magazine industry as a writer. If you can't find Jamie taking a nice, long stroll down Newbury with a Starbucks vanilla iced latte in hand, you'll be sure to find her sitting on BU Beach binge-watching Netflix. Follow Jamie on Instagram: @jamshore
Summer is a Boston University graduate ('15) that received a BS in Journalism with a concentration in magazine journalism. Her interests include editorial design and lifestyle, fashion, and beauty content, as she aspires to be a fashion magazine writer and editor. She is currently a fashion and beauty writer for Bustle.com and previously served as a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Boston University. Summer likes to think of herself as a lipstick enthusiast and smoothie connoisseur, so when she isn't writing for Bustle, you could probably find her sipping on a strawberry-banana smoothie and planning her next purchases at Sephora. Follow Summer on Twitter @SummerArlexis