Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

CollegeFest®, Nutella® Breakfast Tour, Free Cooking Class: Events You Need to Go to This Week

Posted Sep 16 2012 - 9:06pm

Get ready, guys. This week is jam-packed with events, from career workshops to must-attend Alumni Weekend shows.

Make sure you bookmark this page, so you don't miss out on your favorites!

Did I miss your event? Please feel free to email me with details about an upcoming event!

TUESDAY, SEPT. 18

Breast Cancer Discussion – Celebrate Breast Cancer Awareness Week with Gamma Phi Beta and Kappa Sigma at BU all week with fun, informative events and giveaways benefitting the Susan G. Komen Foundation. Today from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. at the CGS Jacob Sleeper Auditorium (871 Commonwealth Ave., room 129), hear a talk by the group Check Your Boobies about stories of survival, and learn why screening is necessary for early detection of breast cancer.

BU Study Abroad at the GSU Link Information Tables – Ever wanted to study abroad but don't know how or where to go? If you want to apply to study abroad this spring, the deadline is coming up! Speak to students and staff about BU Study Abroad from 10:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the GSU Link on 775 Commonwealth Ave.

“Their Eyes Were Watching God: 75th Anniversary Celebration” Film Screening and Discussion – Watch and discuss Zora Neale Hurston's powerful novel, Their Eyes Were Watching God, today at 5 p.m. in the African American Studies Program Building on 138 Mountfort Street, Brookline. Mary Anne Boelckevy, the senior lecturer in the program, will be speaking. Before you go, make sure to check out this C-SPAN discussion with a panel of black women writers for discussion topic ideas. For more information, contact Deirdre James at afam@bu.edu.

WEDNESDAY, SEPT. 19

On Wednesdays We Wear Pink – Celebrate Breast Cancer Awareness Week with Gamma Phi Beta and Kappa Sigma at BU all week with fun, informative events and giveaways benefitting the Susan G. Komen Foundation. Wear pink today to show your support for the Susan G. Komen Foundation!

World Class Study, London: Back to the UK – Did you study abroad in London? Do you now found yourself missing the history, architecture, art and general British culture and customs? From 4 p.m. to 5 p.m. at the Howard Thurman Center (the lower level of the GSU), join reps from Imperial College London, King's College London and University College London to learn how you can get back to the UK! They will present scholarship and fellowship opportunities to attend graduate school in London. In keeping with British traditions, tea and treats will also be provided, courtesy of the HTC's Tea Time with Tino.

Boston Idealist Grad Fair – Hosted by BU SMG's Public and Nonprofit Management program, this Idealist Grad Fair will feature admissions advisors from graduate programs from around the world, and a panel discussion about graduate admissions and financial aid. Make a difference in your career from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. at Metcalf Hall, the second level of the GSU. View the complete list of attending universities here.

How to Manage Personal Finances – Learn how to have more money from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. at Sargent College (635 Commonwealth Ave., room 102). Rick Shaffer’s “Financial Rules of Thumb” workshop is a 90-minute information-packed, interactive presentation that covers a wide spectrum of the financial topics of importance to everyone: saving, investing for retirement, credit issues, taxes, buying and owning a home, insurance, saving and paying for college, and much more. View the agenda and register here.

[pagebreak]
THURSDAY, SEPT. 20

Dine at Sunset Cantina – Celebrate Breast Cancer Awareness Week with Gamma Phi Beta and Kappa Sigma at BU all week with fun, informative events and giveaways benefitting the Susan G. Komen Foundation. Invite your friends to dine at Sunset Cantina on 916 Commonwealth Ave., where 20 percent of meal sales will be donated to the Susan G. Komen foundation. Be sure to bring the event flier.

Farmers' Market – Every Thursday from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. till October 25, the BU Farmers' Market will feature fresh, tasty fruits and veggies from local farmers, delectable pastries and breads from local bakeries, honey, gluten-free and vegan cookies and much more for you to buy. Trust me, you don't want to miss out on Taza Chocolate! Check out live music and other partnering organizations, including BU Bikes and Sargent Choice.

BU CareerLink 101: Search for Internships, Jobs and More – Looking to land an internship or full-time job? Discover search strategies to prepare for today’s job market, and learn the most effective ways to utilize BU CareerLink, the CCD’s online system for internship and job listings. Learn how to use BU CareerLink to search for opportunities, set up a search agent, upload your resume(s) and cover letter(s), apply to job postings, and register for employer information sessions, the Career Expo, workshops and more. Register to attend the CCD workshop on the sixth floor of 100 Bay State Road from 3 p.m. to 4 p.m. here.

Cooking Class: Local Produce – Don't know what to do with local fruits and veggies you received from your Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) box or purchased from the store? Attend BU Dining Services' cooking class from 5 p.m. to 6 p.m. at the GSU Link on 775 Commonwealth Ave. The free improv cooking class will feature Adam Pagan demonstrating his culinary magic with local produce from the Ward's Berry Farm CSA box. Most of the recipes will also be Sargent Choice-approved!

BU for Show – Join BU Central at its first open mic event of the semester! Love playing an instrument, singing, telling jokes, etc.? Sign up to perform at the open mic 30 minutes before the show starts at 9 p.m. in the lower level of the GSU. Or just enjoy a great show by the BU community. These free open mic nights (every third Thursday of the month) are perfect floor events! So sit back and relax!

FRIDAY, SEPT. 21

Nutella® Breakfast Tour Boston – Commence drooling over keyboard. Starting today until Thursday, September 27, the Nutella® truck will be making delicious stops throughout Boston and even one at BU! Get free samples, take a picture next to the giant, inflatable Nutella® jar and enter for a chance to win an exclusive Nutella® Breakfast Tour t-shirt. The truck will be stopping at BU on Sunday, September 23 from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m., but if you can't wait until then, head down to City Hall Plaza today from 7 a.m. to 12 p.m. RSVP here, and enjoy the hazelnut goodness.

Jazz Jam – Join BU Jazz Ensembles for its first jam session of the semester. Come listen to live performances for free from 8:30 p.m. to 11 p.m. at BU Central, the lower level of the GSU. Doors open at 8 p.m. The floor is open to musicians and singers, so sign up for your spot by contacting Josh McDonald at jjwmcd@bu.edu or at 413-846-3202. Then head to Sunset Cantina afterward for food, drinks and conversation! For more information, contact BU Jazz Ensembles at BostonUniversityJazz@gmail.com, and follow them on Twitter @BostonUniv_Jazz.

Comedy Club with SNL's Colin Quinn – As part of BU Alumni Association's Alumni Weekend, Colin Quinn will be performing from 10 p.m. to midnight at the Metcalf Ballroom on the second level of the GSU. Quinn has appeared on MTV, Comedy Central and, of course, Saturday Night Live. Tickets are $5.

SATURDAY, SEPT. 22

CollegeFest® 2012 – Join more than 15,000 students at Boston's biggest back-to-school festival this weekend at the Hynes Convention Center on 900 Boylston Street. The line-up includes Wale, The Cataracs, Kap Slap, 3LAU, E-Marce and more. Be sure to bring a large bag or backpack to carry all the free stuff you''ll receive from more than 100 sponsors at the event. Did I mention that Kel from Nickelodeon's '90s-hit Kenan & Kel will be hosting this two-day event? Get your weekend pass here, and use the coupon code “CRAY” for $5 off the $15 pass. You don't want to miss this.

Kick for a Cure 2012 – Celebrate Breast Cancer Awareness Week with Gamma Phi Beta and Kappa Sigma at BU all week with fun, informative events and giveaways benefitting the Susan G. Komen Foundation. Compete in teams of eight in the annual kickball tournament with the BU community, especially student groups! Tickets are $8 and will be sold at the GSU Link on 775 Commonwealth Ave., and $10 at the door.
[pagebreak]

Cranberry Bog and Apple Picking Field Trip – Invite your friends to tour Plymouth County's cranberry bog and pick apples at the CN Smith Farm in East Bridgewater from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. If you can believe it, this trip is free, with breakfast and lunch provided. The bus will leave from the GSU, and the limited seats fill up fast, so email harpers@bu.edu ASAP!

A Taste of BU – Invite your friends and family, and enjoy New England fare and entertainment from 12:30 p.m. to 2:30 p.m. on the BU Beach (behind Marsh Chapel on 735 Commonwealth Ave.). Tickets are $20 and $5 for children 12 and under.

Celebration of BU & After-Glow Party – This is one event you definitely won't want to miss. With Boston Pops, BU celebrity guest appearances from Bravo TV executive and star of Watch What Happens Live Andy Cohen (COM’90) and Olympic hockey legend Mike Eruzione (SED’77), performances by BU student groups, a 3D light show of BU's proud history, extreme ice carving (with chainsaws and fire) and much more, how can you resist? As part of BU Alumni Association's Alumni Weekend, the celebration from 8 p.m. to 10 p.m. at Agganis Arena on 925 Commonwealth Ave. is open to BU students, faculty, staff and alumni. Afterward, enjoy specialty BU drinks and even more fun at the free, official after-party from 10 p.m. to midnight at the 808 Gallery on 808 Commonwealth Ave.

HarborArts Festival 2012 – Join the two-year anniversary celebration of the HarborArts Shipyard Gallery's grand opening from 12 p.m. to 5 p.m. at the Boston Harbor Shipyard and Marina. Enjoy live entertainment, delicious local food, interactive art, amazing installations, activities for all ages, a guided tour of the gallery and more!

SUNDAY, SEPT. 23

How Music Works: Are We Born Musical? – Author, musician and artist David Byrne and noted cognitive scientist Steven Pinker will host a discussion centered on Mr. Byrne’s latest book, How Music Works, which looks at how music is shaped by time and space. The event at 9 p.m. at the Tsai Performance Center on 685 Commonwealth Ave. is free and open to the public, but tickets must be reserved in advance. Tickets must be picked-up at least 15 minutes prior to the start of the discussion, or they will be re-issued. For more information, call the Tsai Center box office at 617-353-8725.

MONDAY, SEPT. 24

“Roadtrip Nation” Screening and Discussion – Every Monday from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. join the BU CCD/ERC in room 101 of the Student Support Center on 100 Bay State Road to watch and discuss a documentary series of three 20-somethings on a journey of self-discovery. “Roadtrip Nation” features interviews of comedians, social activists, entrepreneurs and more. Register to attend here.

NEXT WEEK: Festival of the Arts, College Day at Fenway, BU Central Games Night, Dance Showcase 2012, Expo-losion, Jack White concert

Remember to come back often for updates!

Rep photo by CollegeFest®. Text photos by thefabempire.com and BU Dining Services.