Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

A Cappella Winter Concerts, Summer Leadership Info Session, Holiday Dinner: Events You Need to Go To This Week

Posted Dec 2 2012 - 3:17pm
Tagged With: bu hillel
Event Date & Time: 
Dec 4 2012 - 8:10pm to Dec 10 2012 - 8:10pm

Can you believe there is only a week and a half left of classes before finals this semester? I know I can't. Make the most of what's left of it by checking out the semester's remaining events, from film screenings to a cappella concerts, panel discussions to comedy shows. Trust me, you need some study breaks every once in a while. As always, please let me know if you would like me to include any upcoming events. Power through, collegiettes™!

ALL WEEK/ONGOING

BU Center for Career Development/Educational Resource Center Workshops – How do you prepare for an interview? What are the best note-taking methods? How do you effectively study for that midterm? Why should you care about “brain food”? Learn all this and much more at CCD/ERC workshops! Check out the full calendar.

TUESDAY, DEC. 4

Dinner with the Sargent College Dean – Discuss the importance of family and cultural traditions with Sargent College Dean Gloria Waters from 6 p.m. to 7:15 p.m. at BU Hillel (third floor dining hall, 213 Bay State Road).

Challah for Hunger: Dough Making – Help BU Hillel make challah dough at 6 p.m. in the BU Hillel kitchen (third floor, 213 Bay State Road). Then help braid and bake on Thursday at 6 p.m., and sell them on Friday at 6 p.m.. Challahs will be sold for $5 each.

RENEWAL Film Screening & Discussion – Come watch RENEWAL, the first feature-length documentary film to capture the vitality and diversity of today's religious-environmental activists, at 5:40 p.m. in CAS 211 (725 Commonwealth Ave.). Then participate in a Q&A session with the film's producer.

Diverse Careers in Science: A Panel Discussion – Join the state lab director, an intellectual property attorney, a biotech instructor and an academic researcher from 4:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. at the Bakst Auditorium (72 East Concord Street, Boston) to learn their paths to success. Many individuals with PhD's in biological sciences will change paths over the course of their careers. This might mean a move out of the lab or elsewhere into functions like education, operations, clinical, marketing, business development or legal. For those thinking about their future, this program will highlight how people engineer career changes, how these careers evolve and how you can guide your career path over the near and long term. Ask questions, discuss and network! RSVP by emailing yolanta@bu.edu.

WEDNESDAY, DEC. 5

Summer Leadership 2013 Information Session – Learn how you can be a summer 2013 orientation leader from 5:30 p.m. to 7 p.m. in the GSU lower level. Orientation staff welcomes incoming students and their families to the BU community and assists with their transition.

Friend Speaker Series: Jacques Pépin – Join internationally renowned chef and author Jacques Pépin for a reception, book signing and talk at 6 p.m. in the Metcalf Ballroom (second floor, GSU). A world-renowned chef, the host of his acclaimed and popular cooking programs on public television and a respected instructor, Pépin will reflect on his life and career. An exhibition of selections from the chef’s archive will be on display, and Pépin will sign copies of his newly published book, Jacques Pépin’s New Complete Techniques. Pépin is the recipient of three of the French government’s highest honors: he is a Chevalier de L’Ordre National de la Legion d’ Honneur, Chevalier de l’Ordre des Arts et des Lettres and a Chevalier de l’Ordre du Mérite Agricole. A close friend to Julia Child, Pépin co-starred in the 1999 PBS series “Julia and Jacques Cooking at Home with Julia,” which won a Daytime Emmy in 2001. A former columnist for The New York Times, Pépin writes a quarterly column for Food & Wine and is a faculty member here at BU. Brought to you by The Friends of the Howard Gotlieb Archival Research Center.

Facing Power: Platon – Free for the BU community at 6:30 p.m. in room 101 of the Kenmore Classroom Building (565 Commonwealth Ave.), photographer Platon will share his experience photographing an eclectic mix of subjects from cultural icons to politicians, world leaders, change makers and human rights activists, as well as his award winning portfolios for The New Yorker. He will focus on his recent collaborations with the Human Rights Watch and will discuss highlights from his Burmese Defenders project, his portfolio on the Egyptian Revolution and the lasting impact of his trip to Russia to photograph civil society in the wake of the 20-year anniversary of the fall of the Soviet Union. Copies of Power will be available for purchase online (for pick up only) and at the lecture, and a book signing with Platon will take place after the lecture.

Donuts with the CFA Dean – Come by for breakfast and coffee with College of Fine Arts Dean Benjamín Juárez from 9 a.m. to 10 a.m. in CFA 230 (855 Commonwealth Ave.). Introduce yourself, ask questions, give feedback or just have a donut!

Free Sunrise Yoga – Take a break from schoolwork with free Pura Vida Kripalu Yoga classes on the top floor (26th!) of StuVi 2 from 7:30 a.m. to 8:30 a.m every Wednesday! Talk about a beautiful view of the sunrise. For BU students and staff of all levels and yoga backgrounds, the yoga classes help relieve some stress and relax your mind and body. Bring a yoga mat and water. Register, and be on your way to a healthier and happier you! If you have any questions, please contact Cristie Siegele at csiegele@bu.edu.

Recycling Cafe – Want free coffee? Recycle your batteries, small electronics, ink cartridges, Brita filters and florescent light bulbs on Wednesdays from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the GSU Link! Make sure you also bring your own mug to get your free coffee, courtesy of BU Dining Services.

Sargent Choice Test Kitchen – Learn how to make Sargent Choice meals at home! Join StuVi2 faculty-in-residence Karen Jacobs and other students from 8 p.m. to 11 p.m. in apartment #2302 at 33 Harry Agganis Way as she teaches you a delicious Sargent Choice recipe. For more information, contact Karen Jacobs at kjacobs@bu.edu or at 617-353-7516.

[pagebreak]

THURSDAY, DEC. 6

Less-Than-a-Latte Jewish Book Sale – Own a book by Elie Wiesel for less than the price of a latte. Stop by BU Hillel (213 Bay State Road) from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., but hurry! There's a limited supply of copies signed by Professor Wiesel. All proceeds go to Hillel.

COM Research Colloquium Series: Visions of a Sustainable Future – Join Dr. Nisbet, associate professor and co-director of the Center for Social Media at American University, from 4 p.m. to 5 p.m. in COM 209 (640 Commonwealth Ave.), as he examines the role of prominent journalists as public intellectuals in society today. He will focus on journalists writing about climate change, sustainability and economic growth.

Holiday Dinner – Get into the holiday spirit with a traditional New England holiday dinner at all residential dining halls from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m. Join friends and have some hot mulled cider, bread pudding, frosted cookies and more.

Gig Tank Information Session – Think you have what it takes to dream up the next gigbit business and app that will take advantage of the country's first and largest gigabit figer optic network? Learn about how you can join up The Gig Tank, the start-up accelerator and think tank for ambitious students, in an information session from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. on the sixth floor of 100 Bay State Road. Register by December 5.

Open Mic/Coffee House – Take a break from end-of-the-semester projects and exams with an open mic night at the Commonwealth Room in HoJo (575 Commonwealth Ave.) from 7 p.m. to 10 p.m. Enjoy free food! Open to all students.

Poetry Reading with CK Williams and Eleanor Goodman – Enjoy readings from poets CK Williams and BU Creative Writing Program alumna Eleanor Goodman at 7:30 p.m. at The Castle (225 Bay State Road). Book signing and reception to follow.

BU for Show – Don't miss BU Central's last open mic night of the semester! Doors open at 8:30 p.m. Performances begin at 9 p.m. at BU Central (lower level, GSU).

FRIDAY, DEC. 7

In AChord Winter Concert: In ATune – Celebrate the end of the semester with In AChord as they showcase their entire repertoire, including songs from John Legend, The Killers and One Direction, from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. in the Kenmore Classroom Building (565 Commonwealth Ave.). Special guests Rock Paper Scissors from Lexington High School will also be performing. Tickets are $5 and are sold online.

Chordially Yours Winter Concert – Join the self-proclaimed sassiest all-female a cappella at 7:30 p.m. in CAS 522 for performances of songs from Bon Iver, Wham!, Fun. and more. Tickets are $5.50 online and $7 at the door.

Wednesday Night Live! – Whether you are a fan of Saturday Night Live, comedy in general or just need a good study break, come for some laughs at BU Central (lower level, GSU) for a free monthly comedy show at 9 p.m., hosted by Cody Brotter and Liz Arcury. Doors open at 8:30 p.m.

Cinematheque: An Evening with Ryan Werner – From 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. in COM 101 (640 Commonwealth Ave.), join BU COM's Film and TV Department Cinematheque, a series of meetings and conversations with filmmakers and free screenings of important, innovative films. Free for BU students, staff and friends, this week features Ryan Werner, director of publicity for IFC, with the sneak preview of the break-out hit at Cannes 2012, “On the Road,” the new feature of Walter Salles from the Jack Kerouac novel. The cast features Kristen Stewart, Kirsten Dunst and Viggo Mortensen. BU Professor and Jack Kerouac expert Jay Atkinson will introduce the film and host the Q&A to follow.

South Campus Winter Lights – Warm up with South Campus RHA's winter lights, as various BU student groups perform. Hot chocolate and cookies will be provided. The lights will go on at 5:20 p.m. in the courtyard at 518 Park Drive.

Latin Dessert Sale – Buy some yummy Latin desserts from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. in the GSU Link. Brought to you by BU M.U.S.I.C.

[pagebreak]

SATURDAY, DEC. 8

The Dear Abbeys Winter Show – The weather's starting to get cold, but let the Dear Abbeys heat up your night with some all-male a cappella music at 7:30 p.m. at Morse Auditorium (602 Commonwealth Ave.)! Who needs chestnuts roasting when you've got 11 men singing their new songs by Muse, Taylor Swift and Frank Ocean? So grab some eggnog, run over to Morse Auditorium and get ready to get your Christmas on! Doors open at 7 p.m. Tickets will be sold online for the special price of $6.50, but will be $7 at the door, so get yours now!

BosTones Winter Show – Want to know more about what makes you tick? Or what lies in your future? Or your relationship forecast? Let the BosTones sing you some sweet tunes and help you uncover what's in the stars for your sign! Catch the BosTones from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. in PHO 206 (8 Saint Mary's St.), as they perform their fall repertoire. Tickets are $7.50 and are sold online. Doors open at 6:30 p.m.

Slow Children at Play: A Brother We Don't Really Talk About – Come see the original sketch comedy group perform at 8 p.m. in Tsai Auditorium (685 Commonwealth Ave.). Tickets are $5 and will be sold all week at the GSU Link.

Sons of Liberty Blowout Comedy Extravaganza – Join BU's long-form improv comedy group Sons of Liberty in its last show of the semester, featuring special guests Kingmaker from NYC and This Is Pathetic from Emerson College.

SUNDAY, DEC. 9

Chanukah Cookie Making – Come and join BU Hillel's LGBT Jews and Allies to gear up for a sweet pre-Chanukah treat from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. at BU Hillel (second floor lounge, 213 Bay State Road). Cookies will be baked fresh, so bring yourself and friends. All are invited.

New England Philharmonic Family Concert “Beats and Beasts” – Learn Latin rhythms, dance with buckaroos at a hoedown, help make barnyard sounds in a traditional American song and meet a talented young performer from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m. at the Tsai Performance Center (685 Commonwealth Ave.). Tickets are $25 for general admission and available by calling the Tsai Box Office at 617-353-8725.

MONDAY, DEC. 10

Red Cross Bake Sale – Buy some delicious baked goods from the BU Red Cross Volunteers from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the GSU Link.

NEXT WEEK: Latkepalooza, Last Day of Classes, JazzFest, Holiday Party

Rep photo by The Dear Abbeys. Text photos by Mugar Library, Chordially Yours, The Dear Abbeys.