Campus Celeb: Susan Whitman

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Meet this week’s Campus Celebrity, Susan Whitman.  Susan is a Connecticut native who transferred to Boston University this year.  She’s a PR major in the College of Communication.

Susan is passionate about many things- one of the most important being music.  “The soundtrack to my life is an eclectic variety.  My favorite musicians are those who are able to put life into perspective, provide comfort, unity, and stimulate feelings with their work.  That being said, I always have a song to share and would love to work in the music industry one day.”  Susan is currently listening to Lana del Rey, Lotus, The Grateful Dead, Kaskade, and Bon Iver.  This past semester, she made a spreadsheet that included a concert for every weekend in the Boston area- and she managed to attend many on the list.  So far, she has three concerts planned out for the spring semester: Sam Smith, Lotus, and Odesza.

Although I have only known Susan for a few months, she has quickly become one of my best friends and is easily one of the most interesting people I’ve ever met.  I admire her greatly for her outlooks on life.  She is the person I go to when I need positive energy in my life; she always knows the right thing to say.  Here are a few of her favorite quotes:

• “Waking up this morning, I smile. Twenty-four brand new hours are before me. I vow to live fully in each moment and to look at all beings with eyes of compassion.” – Thich Nhat Hanh
  • “You are an unfinished work in progress. One of the good things about life’s challenges: You get to find out that you’re capable of being far more than you ever thought possible.” – Karen Salmahson
  • “The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.”  – Christopher McCandless

Susan has been involved in the PR industry for quite some time.  “During the summer of 2014, I worked as a public relations intern for O’Neill and Associates, located in Government Center.  Some of the clients I worked for were Fanueil Hall Marketplace, Home Start, and Boston Comic Con.  I have worked as a Media Coordinator for Andonia PR since January of 2014.  A few of my duties include monitoring and managing social media accounts for clients, creating social content strategies, issuing press releases, researching, strategizing and participating in brand-building sessions, and photographing social content for clients.  My current clients include housewild.com, Boston-based Liquid Art House, and Elizabeth Grady.”

Another thing that is extremely important to Susan is her vegetarian lifestyle and sharing it with people.  “When I was 14, I decided to become a vegetarian solely for health purposes.  After recognizing how positively it impacted me, I decided to stick with it.  Soon after, I started thinking and learning more about the ethics behind it.  It has been 8 years and I haven’t looked back since.”  Susan created a blog, “My Veg Heart,” where she posts pictures of her delicious creations along with the recipes to recreate her dishes.

Here are a few of her masterpieces:

For more on My Veg Heart, please visit blog.myvegheart.com and search @myvegheart on Insta.

Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.