Campus Celeb Bonnie Tynes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

When I first came to BU, a friend of mine told me there was someone I absolutely had to meet. And that person is this week’s Campus Celeb, Bonnie Tynes. Hailing from Atlanta, Georgia, this southern belle has taken Boston by storm ever since she first arrived. You have probably seen Bonnie around campus, as one of bubbliest people I have ever met she is hard to miss. She is a Special Ed major and her passion for education is truly inspiring. From being a Dean’s List student to an active sorority member to traveling the world, she somehow manages to do it all. Meet the fabulous Bonnie Tynes!

How did you decide on your major?

When I was in high school, I had an English teacher who completely changed the way I saw education. She became not only an incredible mentor to me but a friend as well. When it came time to think about what I wanted to do career wise, I couldn’t picture myself being anything other than the type of person she was. Freshman year, I started off majoring in English education and something just wasn’t right. I wasn’t enjoying my classes and I felt defeated. That summer, I decided to apply on a whim to work at a summer camp for children with dyslexia. I ended up getting the job and through my experience there, I discovered that special education was the path I was meant to take.

If someone was to look for you on campus where would they find you?

Either in the SED library or the Starbucks in West Campus… I literally live there.

What are you involved with on or off campus?

I am a Dean’s Host in SED which I absolutely love doing. I am also a proud member of Alpha Phi and this year’s Vice President of Recruitment. Apart from BU, I am apart of Breakthrough of Greater Boston. They provide underperforming urban public schools with after school programs and I am a teacher for 7-8th graders. I also babysit an adorable 3 year old girl who I love going to museums and parks with.

How do you remain sane?

Thats a good question! I am a Pure Barre enthusiast and that is a great stress-reliever. I also try to make time for my favorite shows which are “Scandal”, “Orange Is The New Black”, and “Girls”. Also, as corny as this sounds, I am in love with everything I am involved with so when things get stressful I just remind myself of that and how lucky I am.

Side note for any “Girls” fans: Bonnie is meeting Lena Dunham this week!

What has been one of your greatest experiences so far at BU?

This past summer I had the opportunity to study abroad in London for six weeks. Because my major is strict, for the first time I was able to take a few classes just for the fun of learning. I took literature classes with English professors and I traveled throughout Europe and made so many amazing memories. I did not know any of the other people I went with and it was my first time traveling to a different country so as you can imagine I was completely out of my comfort zone. While at first it was hard, I was able to make so many new friendships and open doors I had never dreamed of before. I am already looking forward to traveling more and expanding my knowledge!

What is your advice to someone who is trying to find their way at BU?

My greatest piece of advice would be to let go of any preconceived notions you have. Anyone you meet is a possible friend and it is so important to always be willing to try new things and meet new people. I have found friends in the most surprising people and circumstances and that is because I let go of any prior judgements I had. We are lucky that BU is an incredibly diverse place and there are so many different types of people and experiences that we can all learn from.

What are your future plans?

Lets see… I am either going to pursue a master’s degree in Education or go straight into teaching at a specialized school for children with special needs. The one thing I know for sure is I plan on staying on the East Coast after graduation. Boston has my heart!

Follow Bonnie on Instagram: @bontynes 

Brianne is a junior at BU where she is majoring in Public Relations and minoring in going out Monday-Sunday. She refers to Vogue as her bible, is addicted to instagram and the Real Housewives, and considers mimosas to be a food group. 
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.