This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

My name is Mikaela and I am an advertising major in Boston University’s College of Communication. A fun fact about me is I eat avocado toast basically everyday. One of the things I am most thankful for is fashion. I have used the things that I wear as a way to express who I am and how I feel for years. Fashion has been an outlet for me to let loose.

For the past 3 weeks, I have been touring the closets of fellow Boston University students, such as Margo Ghertner, Zoe Hawryluk, and Sophie Singer-Santoro and Bruna Giampietro. This week, I decided to ask myself the questions I asked my friends!

Here’s how it went!

How would you describe your style?

Mikaela: I really don’t know how I would describe my style! I think my style is constantly evolving as I change and continue to be inspired. I kind of wear whatever I am drawn to! For example, some days I want to feel like a woman from the French countryside living in Paris and other days I want to feel like a California surfer chick going to a rooftop party.

Who or what inspires your style?

Mikaela: Many things inspire me! It would be too hard for me to narrow it down. I’m mostly inspired by the weather and my mood. The weather in Boston has been a little gloomy so I’ve been trying to experiment more with colors and textures to add a little spice to my day.

Whose closet would you want to raid?

Mikaela: I would love to raid Camille Rowe’s or Leandra Medine’s closet. I love Camille Rowe’s style; I feel like she’s the definition of “effortlessly chic.” I am also obsessed with Leandra Medine’s style because I think she is quite bold in her choices, either in the details or an actual article of clothing, and still looks fashionable.

What is your favorite item?

Mikaela: My favorite item is my vintage Levi’s shorts. I hate pants! If I had the choice, I would wear shorts every day. I especially love these shorts because I feel like they are really unique, especially because of the mismatched pockets and how they have a worn look. Plus, they make your butt look really good!

What are three items you would save in a fire?

Mikaela: I think everything is replaceable, but if I had to choose I would pick Air Force 1 sneakers. They have become a staple in my closet and I pretty much wear them every day. I would also save my Saint Laurent Loulou Tapestry booties, mostly because they were such a deal. They were originally priced for $995 but I got them for $228! Lastly, I would probably save my Levi’s shorts just because I love them so much.

What is your favorite store?

Mikaela: I absolutely love Aritzia and And Other Stories. I think Aritzia has amazing staple items that you can build an outfit on, either up or down. Moreover, I think And Other Stories has a great mix of basic and statement pieces.

How do you choose what to wear everyday and for a night out?

Mikaela: My outfit for the day really depends on the weather and how I feel. Lately, I’ve been experimenting with color, especially red. It’s my favorite color! I rarely plan my outfits in advance– I usually put on whatever I am drawn to that day. For a night out, I typically gravitate towards black. Depending on where I am going, I will either throw on a leather jacket or just an oversized denim jacket. I also intensify my makeup by putting on winged eyeliner, a smoky eye, or a bold lip.

What is the best style advice you have?

Mikaela: When it comes to fashion and personal style, I think the best thing to remember is that you are dressing for yourself. Let you clothes be a reflection of who you are!

I hope enjoyed my reading about my closet and style. It definitely felt weird writing about myself. The one thing I hope you get out of this tour is to wear what you want because you are dressing for yourself!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Mikaela is a sophomore in Boston University's College of Communication. Her major is advertising and has an focus in Spanish. Mikaela likes avocado toast, hot chocolate more than coffee, and dogs. Her passions include fashion, watching movies, and eating yummy food. 
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.