A Brief Starter’s Guide to Veganism

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Veganism is catching the attention of people worldwide. Whether it’s through documentaries, Beyoncé (yes, she is a vegan!), Youtube, or other sources, people are starting to take notice. It can be a little intimidating to try a new way of eating, but it can also have amazing results. We are not nutritionists, but here is our starter’s guide for those considering a vegan diet.

So What is Veganism?

Veganism is a a diet that is free of any animal products. This includes refraining from meat, milk, dairy and eggs. Vegans follow a plant based diet filled with vegetables, fruits, legumes, nuts, etc.

Here are some websites that contain valuable information about veganism!

1. The Vegertarian Resource Group

2. Vegan Action

3. Animals Deserve Absolute Protection Today and Tomorrow

You Need Vitamin B12

First and foremost, it’s imperative that those who eat a plant-based diet take B12 supplements. B12 is a nutrient that is only found in certain types of meat. Without B12, which aids healthy DNA creation as well as maintains nerve and blood cells, you are more susceptible to developing a deficiency that may lead to anemia. To prevent a lack of B12, vegans and vegetarians should take a daily supplement.

For more information on B12, visit Dr. Andrew Weil‘s site.

You Don’t Need Meat to Get Protein

According to health.com, women need about 46 grams of protein per day, and men need about 56 grams. It is falsely believed that if you go vegan, you won’t be consuming protein. Don’t fall for this misconception! There are plenty of ways to get your daily dose of protein through vegetables, nuts, grains and legumes. For example, a single cup of green peas or quinoa contain about 8g of protein, two cups of kidney beans contain a whooping 26g and a cup of chopped broccoli contains over 8g of protein. With a daily balanced diet, getting enough protein is no challenge for a vegan!

There are Various “Types” of Vegan Diets

Some vegans prefer to eat a fully raw diet, some prefer to eat high carb, low fat, and others are simply label free! If you are considering transitioning to a vegan diet, make sure you research the different diets to see which one best suits you.

Vegan Restaurants in Boston

There are definitely restuarants around Boston that will meet the needs of a vegan diet! For starters, take your pick between these fabulous restaurants:

1. My Thai Vegan Cafe

2. Sweetgreen

3. Veggie Galaxy

4. Coco Beet

Along with these delicious restaurants, there are plenty of places that offer vegan options. And almost any eatery can accommodate their traditional choices to a vegan’s preferences. 

It is critical to partake in some research when you are transitioning to a vegan diet. This short starter guide is not substantial enough to give you all of the information you need, but it lays out the basics for you! Whether you are considering eating a vegan diet for personal, ethical, or health reasons, do not fall for the common myths and misconceptions that comes with a plant based diet! Remember, eat your veggies!

Taleen is a freshman in the Boston University College of Communication, pursuing a degree in journalism. She aspires to write for magazines and newspapers about current events. When she isn’t blogging or studying, Taleen enjoys spending her time discovering new music, redecorating her dorm room, taking BuzzFeed quizzes, FaceTiming her cat and searching for the most delicious cup of coffee in Boston. You can follow her on Twitter @taleensim
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.