andrew neel 7crB2ccrmPo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
andrew neel 7crB2ccrmPo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The Boyfriend Gift Guide

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Deck the Halls and hang the mistletoe ladies; it’s that time year again! Time to decorate the tree, put up the lights and stock up on candy canes and eggnog because Santa Claus is coming to town! For a shopaholic like myself, buying Christmas presents is definitely up there in my top 5 favorite winter activities (I mean it’s an excuse to shop with the added bonus of that warm, fuzzy feeling of giving!) but I’m probably not alone when I say that shopping for guys is perhaps one of the most frustrating tasks on the planet. If your boyfriend is the type of guy to go “uhh I don’t know” when asked what he wants for Christmas, please read on; I’m here to help!

A few tips to keep in mind when shopping for your guy:

1. There is a fine line between practical and boring; just because he needs it does not necessarily mean it will make a good Christmas gift; you’re his girlfriend not his mom.
  2. Thoughtful is the name of the game when shopping for guys. Your guy probably isn’t expecting much but he’ll appreciate you that much more if it shows that you really spent some time thinking about his gift.
  3. Remember you’re shopping for the person he currently is, not the person you’d like him to be.
  4. The length of your relationship is also a really important factor. The present you buy should reflect the amount of time you’ve been together. It’s really not appropriate to spend an insane amount of money on your guy when you’ve only been together for a few months. With that in mind, it might be helpful to determine beforehand between the two of you how much money you’re going to spend on each other to avoid any awkwardness later.
  5. Make sure you have all your facts right. If your sweetie is a Giants fan, don’t go buying him a Colts t-shirt because that would also be very awkward.
  6. Don’t be afraid to ask for a little help, either from his mom, sister or best friend.
  7. Finally, ebay is a great place to buy gifts, not only for your sweetie but in general. You can get amazing, brand new, presents for super affordable prices!

Below is a short list to help get you thinking about what your guy might like. It’s definitely not an extensive list but I’m pretty sure it will be helpful, especially if you’re really stuck!

For the sentimental type:

·       An electronic picture frame with pictures of you two

·       An experience;  something that you can do with him whether it be rock climbing, paintball, a basketball game, anything as long as it can be done together

·       Something handmade. Personally I’m not the crafty type but if you can knit, go on and knit him a scarf because he will remember you every time he wears it

·       An ID bracelet with your initials engraved on the back

·       Custom photo iPhone case

·       A coupon for one week of home-cooked meals

For the Sports Fanatic/ Fitness Freak:

·       Sports memorabilia! This is one present you can’t go wrong with; guys love anything with their favorite team on it. Just make sure it’s not something he already has

·       Tickets to a game

·       New exercise equipment (kettlebells, dumbells, pullup bar, Crossfit equipment  etc.)

·       If cost isn’t an issue, try buying your guy one of those intense workout DVD sets like Insanity or P90X. (Really this is a present for you as well because your boyfriend will look that much hotter when he finishes it.)

·       An acupuncture mat if he’s always sore from his workouts

·       A sports watch

·       A rope-less skipping rope

For the Trendsetter:

·       Polo by Ralph Lauren cologne (you can create your own fragrance!)

·       Gift certificate to a store like ASOS, Karmaloop, Top Man etc.

·       The Art of Shaving Starter Kit

·       The North face texting gloves

·       Cufflinks

·       A leather wallet

·       A trendy sweater (like a cowl neck or shawl cardigan)

·       Cool sunglasses

·       Ralph Lauren boxers

For the “kid at heart”:

·       A Videogame like GTA V, NBA 2k14, Call of Duty: Ghosts, FIFA 14etc.

·       A portable ping pong set

·       Drinking Dart Board game (or just a regular one)

·       Build your own robot set

·       A punching bag laundry bag

·       A DVD box set of his favourite childhood show

·       An Apple gift certificate

What it really comes down to at the end of the day is making sure your gift is from the heart. Guys really aren’t picky when it comes to things like this and the truth is he’ll probably appreciate anything you get him because it’s from you. So try not to stress too much about getting the perfect gift because whatever you end up buying he will love regardless. 

Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.