Book Recommendations Based on Your Fave TV Show

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Feeling like nothing can fill the void in your heart after finishing the last season of your favorite show? Try checking out some new reading material! Not to sound too much like your lecturing Grandpa, but books were totally the top source of entertainment for centuries before people had cable. Plus, a lot of the time the drama and humor in a good novel can be just as captivating as your most recent Netflix binge.

The Show: How To Get Away With Murder

The Book: The Secret History by Donna Tartt

If you’re a fan of all the thrilling twists and shady characters in Shonda Rimes’ hugely popular crime drama, check out The Secret History. In this debut novel by Pulitzer Prize winner Donna Tartt, a group of mythology students explore the complicated circumstances behind why they murdered one of their closest friends.

The Show: Supernatural

The Book: Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett

If you love watching the snappy dialogue and modern interpretations of demons and angels in Supernatural, you have to read this hilarious book co-written by two of literatures most beloved sci-fi legends. Good Omens describes the ridiculous adventures of a demon and an angel who team up to stop the apocalypse after they accidentally “misplace” the Antichrist.

The Show: Gilmore Girls

The Book: Where’d You Go, Bernadette by Maria Semple

Although the mother-daughter duo in Where’d You Go, Bernadette may be much more dysfunctional than Lorelai and Rory, the bond between the women is just as strong and unique as our favorite Gilmores and the novel is totally worth a read!

The Show: Buffy the Vampire Slayer

The Book: Vampire Academy Series by Richelle Mead

Other than the obvious similarity of starring a snarky, vampire-hunting protagonist, Vampire Academy approaches sensitive teen issues with the same intense realism as Buffy while also using the same witty and campy approach to describing a world full of supernatural creatures.

The Show: Gossip Girl

The Book: Breakfast at Tiffany’s by Truman Capote

Let’s just say there’s a reason why Breakfast at Tiffany’s was Blair Waldorf’s favorite movie. Holly GoLightly was definitely the original Upper East Side socialite, and the secrets surrounding her mysterious past would not be out of place in one of Gossip Girl’s famous text blasts.

So next time none of your Netflix recommendations are grabbing your attention, try heading down to the library and getting lost in a story the old-fashioned way! 

Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.