Benefits of Keeping a Journal

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Dear Diary, 

Today I’ve decided to write about why keeping a journal was a really great choice for me. I’ve learned a lot since I started writing on your pages, so I thought I’d make an ironically public entry to share with others.

Starting a journal often appears a little bit daunting; it’s difficult to choose a format to write in, trying to write entries each day can be hard to keep up with, and it seems unlikely that no one would ever discover it and read the words on its pages. There is a good way to go about it – by understanding there is no set process for it. Beyond that, there are a lot of reasons why starting a journal can benefit you in your daily life. 

1. It’s therapeutic. 

Writing in a journal is a great tool for stress relief. In my own opinion, it’s entirely exhausting to recount a bad day and relive the negative energy of the stressful events I’ve been through by writing them down in my journal. Instead, I like to take a positive approach by recapping maybe a few of the highlights of why I’m upset – because venting your feelings always helps – and then focus instead on why the problems can be resolved, why they will be resolved soon, or why they shouldn’t be problems that affect me at all. You can choose whichever approach you like, but finding some way to reflect on the stressful events of your life can feel like having a weight lifted off your shoulders. As you write down your problems or anxieties, think of them as leaving your mind and being transported through your pen and onto the page. 

2. It indulges your creative side. 

There’s no strict format to journal writing, so you can really fill its pages however you want. If the “Dear Diary” format isn’t your style, there’s no reason you have to use it. Don’t date pages if you don’t want to, either. How you organize and design your journal is completely up to you and will reflect your personality and creativity. Fill it with sketches of horses if that’s what you want to do; that’s a strange example, but the point here is that anything goes. If you’re like me, it’s also easy to get frustrated when your pen doesn’t move as quickly as your mind wants it to write down your story. If you have an issue with that, you can try keeping a log online or a private blog page. There’s a lot of freedom for self-expression in journal writing. 

3. It can help you with homework. 

Okay, your math grade may not dramatically go from a D to an A+, but writing can help to an extent. By writing everyday, you practice your writing skills and keep a clearer, more agile state of mind. When your mind is flexible and your thoughts are organized, you’re more likely to be more focused and in a clearer state of mind for getting academic work done. 

4. It keeps you organized.

Sleep-deprived, overwhelmed, and not sure where to start to get your life back together when you’re stuck in a mid-semester rut? Writing in a journal can fix that. You can use your journal to jot down little notes from time to time; not only will it be like a diary, but also an agenda or organizer. Think of an interesting thought for an essay? Write it down. You’ll thank yourself later when you have material to write about. When you get everything down on paper, it’ll give you a better understanding of what’s going on in your day-to-day life so you can better manage your time and thoughts. 

5. It can help with your self-discovery. 

That’s why journals often seem to be so popular with teenagers. Writing in a journal is a process of reflection, hope for the future, organization, and thoughts on everything in general. If it’s in your head, write it down. You can realize a lot about yourself, what makes you happy, and what you hope to see more of in your future. If you’re having trouble choosing a major in college, writing in a journal might offer some helpful insight into who you are and who you wish to be. 

6. It can teach you a lot. 

Not only will you learn about yourself, but you’ll also make interesting connections about life, the people around you, and your daily experience. You’d be surprised what you can realize just by talking it out with yourself through the form of a journal. They say the elderly are typically full of wisdom… You’ll be wise beyond your years before you know it. 

7. It can help you maintain healthy relationships. 

When you reflect on your experiences and begin learning and drawing conclusions about your life, what makes you happy, and the people around you, you’ll begin to understand what you need to do to maintain positive relationships. You might also realize whom you need to let go of in your life, because you’ll realize who’s actively supporting you, who’s just there, and who’s bringing you down. Keeping a journal will bring a lot of clarity to your life about who you are and what you deserve to be getting – as well as what you ought to be giving – in relationships, whether they’re romantic, friendly, or familial. 

8. It can enhance your memory.  

When you write something down about an experience, you’re taking extra time to document it and turn it over in your mind, and thereby really cementing it in your memory. With all the time you think about it, you’re more likely to remember it – and everything you write down – in the future. If you should forget about something, you can always look back and read about it.

Once again, there’s also no strict format; you can use it as a sort of scrapbook if you choose, and keep little documents taped in it if you want to. Gum wrappers, napkins, pressed flowers… If it means something to you, why not toss it in? People rarely seem to get or keep printed photographs these days, but if you’re very committed to accurately documenting your life, you can print those out as well.

A common habit is to buy a journal for an entire year, and writing in it everyday. When you look back on it, you’ll be able to review your year and what you learned. This is why I recommend focusing less on the negative events, or venting briefly but keeping the overall feeling positive. When you see how you felt on a bad day, you won’t get re-immersed in negative emotions, and can instead observe the triumph you had over hard times and how they brought you to be the strong person you are today. 

9. It gives you something to do. 

Personally, I have to be busy all the time to stay entertained. I usually have my hands full with schoolwork, but I like to be involved with work and extracurricular activities during the times I’m not. I get bored pretty quickly when given too much free time – it’s an awful habit –, but I’ve found journaling can be a great way to prevent that. If I ever have too much spare time and am feeling like a bit too much of a couch potato during a vacation I’ve spent watching too much Netflix, my journal is always there to help me pass the time and organize my life. 

You really don’t have to fit the description of the common, seemingly artistic or writer-y type of person to keep a journal. You just have to want to give it a try. Keeping a journal can be surprisingly helpful, especially if you’re running a short fuse and need some clarity, stress relief, or organization in your life. Sometimes, a little less Netflix and Facebook can be a good thing in exchange for a little more self-discovery. 

‘Til next time, 

HCBU 

Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.