Back to the Bottom: 4 Big Tips for Adjusting from High School to College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Freshman year of college is a scary sort of déjà-vu. It took four years to get to the top in high school, but only 3 months to land back on the bottom of the food chain in college. And this time, your trip back down drags you further than before; you’re on your own this time, away from your room, your hometown, and your safety net of friends and family. During one of the biggest transitions of your life, you deserve a little—or a lot!—of help. Regardless of whether you move thousands of miles away or go to school a short walk away from home, these tips will give you a head start on how to survive and thrive on your way to your new home away from home.

1)    Love and Let Go

Saying goodbye to friends and family, even your dog, might take a huge emotional toll on you. The weeks leading up to your departure are often the most tumultuous. You might be happy one day, or even one hour, and find your throat tight and eyes wet in a matter of minutes. There is no right way to feel about leaving for college. If you’re happy and excited, that’s normal. If you’re also often feeling stressed, sad or ambivalent about leaving, that’s normal too. What’s important to remember is that you’re never alone. Take comfort in the strength in numbers—so many students are going through the same thing, including your friends. While you shouldn’t concentrate too much on the things you’ll leave behind, make sure to spend quality time with those things before you go. Hang out with your friends often. Hug your parents. Visit your favorite places in your hometown, and soak it in like you’ve never seen them before. And then prepare for the things to come.

2)    Winter is Coming (or not)

Students from Florida or California going to school virtually anywhere that isn’t their home state are always distinguishable once winter rolls around (I will be one of these students. Pray for my survival.) Likewise, students moving to either of those sunny state for college might feel their face melting off more often than not. Either way, do your research and prepare your wardrobe for what you’ll be facing. If you’re used to year-long summers, start investing in a winter coat, knit sweaters, tons of layers, long underwear, fuzzy socks, and a sturdy pair of boots, plus scarves, mittens, hats and even chapstick to shield yourself from the shock of your life. Likewise, prepare to strip off all the layers in hotter states. You might be pleasantly surprised when you can wear flip flops in December while the rest of the country is surviving The Day After Tomorrow-type calamities.

3)    Open Up

College offers an endless variety of people, places, ideas, interests—if you look for it, you’ll find it. However, all the novelty college offers might startle you at first. Here’s where you should learn to expand your mind to things you might have never dabbled in before:

Talk to someone new every day, even if it’s just a word or two. Talk to people from different countries, who speak different languages. Talk to people without making quick judgments—they might turn out to be your best friend. Pick up a new hobby or learn how to do something you’ve always wanted to. Don’t stay stagnant in who you were before, yet don’t think you have to let go of your old self completely. Allow yourself to change if you need to. Open your mind and the world opens up along with you.

4)    Give and Take

Don’t just wait for things to happen! Get active in getting what you want out of college, or in figuring it out if you’re not sure yet. After all, it’s all about you—you tailor your own experience, your foster your own interests, and get what you want out of your years in college. While some things might be unpredictable or unavoidable, like homesickness and stress, be active in pursuing what you want. Don’t let anyone tell you you’re limited. While it might seem scary standing on the edge of the rest of your life, fearing mistakes and mishaps, it’s even scarier to live with the regret of things you could have done and let opportunities pass by and fall out of your reach. So grab onto the edge, look over, and jump. Whether you freefall or hold your hand tight against the pull of a parachute, you’ve taken the first step. Who knows what’s waiting for you?

Nicole is a junior Film/TV major at Boston University. She's an Argentinean first generation student who made the leap from Miami to Boston for college. She has chosen writing as a career for reasons no one can explain, except maybe with theories of her masochistic tendencies. She dreams of being on a writing team for a sitcom and someday becoming a showrunner of her own original show.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.