This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

By Rebecca Grandahl

How many news titles have you read that mention a young female getting kidnapped, raped, or killed while she’s walking home at night? Maybe she was alone in a parking garage, or maybe someone even took advantage of a whole group of young women. Regardless, it’s relatively common knowledge that it’s dangerous to walk alone. But if you want to be even more careful when going out, there are many more things you can do than just having a group with you. Take a minute to read up on some important tips that will help keep you safe the next time you go anywhere — to the club, walking home from work, or even finding your car in an isolated place.

Travel in a pack. It’s true that there is strength in numbers, so the more people, the better. Going shopping? Bring a friend! In the mood for a drink? Don’t hit up that bar alone. In a sketchy place, but don’t have a friend with you? Ask a trustworthy person nearby to walk you to transportation or just watch you go. This could be a cashier, waitress or any other worker you deem as trustworthy and responsible. If you’re going somewhere you don’t know or have never been before, you absolutely should not go alone!

Tell someone where you are going and when you’ll be back. If you’re running out to grab a snack from the corner store, tell your roommate that. If you’re gone for more than five minutes, they’ll know to check in.

Always keep an eye out for the nearest exit. Have a path traced out in your mind of how you can get there, just in case anything goes wrong. It doesn’t matter if it’s an emergency exit, a window, or a regular door — anything will do if an emergency happens.

Review your safety plan. If something does happen, what will you do? If you are an iPhone user, you can click the lock button on your phone five times to silently call emergency services. You can also fill out your Medical ID in the Health app that comes pre-installed on your phone.

Don’t acknowledge strangers. Unless someone calls you by name, do not make eye contact with anyone you don’t know. Especially in places like big cities or isolated areas, it’s not a good idea to make new friends without a friend already there with you to make sure you are safe.

Don’t dress too brightly. This one may seem kind of obvious, but you shouldn’t attract too much attention to yourself, especially if you’re in a sketchy area. On the other hand, you want to wear clothes that are still easily identifiable, that way if you do happen to go missing it won’t be so hard to find you. Also, make sure you wear clothing that isn’t too tight so it won’t restrict your movement.

Body language is key. Stay low, walk with confidence (head high, shoulders back, chest out). Make sure your body language communicates that you can take care of yourself. Walk like you know where you’re going even if you don’t, and carry yourself like you have to be there immediately.

Keep some sort of weapon on you. Don’t freak out, you don’t need to hurt anybody! This doesn’t have to be a gun! It can literally just be pepper spray, a rock, or a taser. Anything that can be used in self-defense is great to have, and even if you don’t ever use it, you’ll feel safer just knowing that you have it. Just make sure you know how to use it!

Be safe out there! Remember these tips and share them with your friends. It’s crucial to know how to react to unexpected situations. Do you feel prepared?

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Rebecca is a Senior at BU studying Journalism and Psychology. She is a Slytherin with a passion for investigative reporting.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.