free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

9 Tips to Make Your Internship a Success

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Internship season is upon us. And yes, that means it’s time to start “adulting” or at least try to start thinking about your career. As daunting as the whole process may seem, the fact that this is where all of your hard work and preparation has been heading to is exciting. Internships are a great way to help shape your career. Starting off as an intern can be overwhelming, so here are 9 tips that I hope will help you start your career with a bang.

Tip #1: Get out of your comfort zone.

You would think this is an obvious tip. In reality, it’s very difficult to adhere to this. Learning begins after you step out of your comfort zone, and it really helps to break out of your shell in order to grow. I used to hate asking my boss for new projects to work on every day, but this only helped me become better at asking questions and also made me more responsible as I realized that nothing is going to be handed to me.

Tip #2: Keep your options open.

Don’t limit yourself to a particular field or job, especially when you’re starting off as an intern. If you have always seen yourself in marketing but your boss sees you have more potential in finance, take the chance and see how it goes. Maybe you’ll discover your new passion.

Tip #3: Maximize interaction.

In your free time, get out of your cabin and talk with employees from different departments. Ask them about their job, their experiences with the company or just anything in general. Your supervisors and co-workers might not take notice that you are new to the company, so make sure you come out of your shell and introduce yourself. This will not only help you create professional connections, but it’s also a great way to kill free time.

Tip #4: Get ready to talk about yourself, A LOT.

Talking about one’s self can be awkward, especially in a professional setting. Having a prepared elevator pitch could really help you come up with conversation starters at meetings or network lunches. Gaining presence in a company is all about marketing yourself.

Tip #5: Networking, networking, and networking!

Networking is an essential skill to have not just prior to getting a job, but also at work. Talking to people will help you create your own network and build connections. Some of those connections might refer you to other people and who knows? You might get promoted earlier than you think!

Tip #6: You don’t have to know everything.

Don’t worry if you don’t know how to handle databases in a tech-based company. For almost any position, you learn most of the skills you need while working. While it definitely helps to have some prior experience, it’s not the most important thing on your resume. While it may be hard to believe, some companies are more interested in people who strive for growth and knowledge than in people who might have the right experience.

Tip #7: Do your research.

Before getting involved in any company, try to do some research and learn all you can about the company. Not only will this make you seem more passionate and interested, but it could also give you something to talk about with co-workers or supervisors.

Tip #8: Ask questions.

Another cliche tip, but ask questions!! Don’t go in acting like you already know everything there is to know because you don’t. Plus, asking questions makes you look like you actually want to be there.

Tip #9: Last but not least, make the most of it.

In the midst of everything, don’t forget to live in the moment and enjoy the experience. By the end, you don’t even realize all the memories you have made and all the friendships that have bloomed. Reflect on the skills you’ve gained during your internship and the connections you’ve made. You might also be able to discover if this is the right career field for you. Either way, this experience is a valuable one, so have fun!

There you have it, my 9 tips that will help you get the most out of your internship. So go out there and show them who you are. Good luck!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!​

Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.