9 Reasons to Start Watching One Day at a Time

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

One Day at a Time is a Netflix original family comedy-drama, and its second season just premiered in late January. The sitcom is loosely based off of the 1975-1984 series with the same name and has a couple modern twists on the original idea. Because it’s on Netflix, you can watch season one and two anytime and at any pace you’d like! One Day at a Time is very binge-worthy and here are a couple reasons why:

1. It focuses on a Cuban-American family.

It represents a population and culture that the media doesn’t usually focus on, which makes the show even more fun and interesting to watch.

2. Feminism radiates from every episode.

One Day at a Time is centered around a female-dominated household and includes men who support the women in their lives. The main characters include a single mom/veteran, a resilient teenage girl, and a grandmother who immigrated from Cuba as a child and built a life for her family in America.

3. LGBTQ issues get a voice.

The Netflix show features a coming out story and has an accurate portrayal of how it affects the rest of a family. In season two, the show introduces a non-binary character as well.

4. It tackles the wage gap.

Although it is extensively discussed in society, we rarely see the gender wage gap actually depicted in TV shows or movies. This topic can be controversial, but One Day at a Time does a good job of showing how the wage gap affects the working class.

5. Mental health issues are discussed.

Justina Machado’s character, Penelope, faces the struggles of depression and anxiety as she tries to adjust to reality after returning from serving in the army. This plot line is made even more interesting when her traditional mother doesn’t support the concept of therapy and medication.

6. Immigration is a prominent topic.

Since the show’s focus is on a Cuban-American family, One Day at a Time includes many immigration-related issues, from the prospect of gaining citizenship to the threat of deportation to facing discrimination every day. Especially considering the current political climate, this show brings awareness to such an important topic.

7. Rita Moreno is AMAZING.

Rita Moreno is a highly famous actress, dancer, and singer, having won an Oscar, an Emmy, a Grammy, and a Tony. Moreno plays quite possibly the best character on the show – a loyal Cuban living with her daughter and grandchildren. She plays a huge role in countless hilarious situations.

8. It puts a modern twist on religion.

Moreno’s character, Lydia, is a devout Catholic whose views are constantly challenged by issues and plotlines in the series. Religion can be an immense part of one’s identity and One Day at a Time demonstrates the conflict one faces between religion and the modern world.

9. It is a show about a wholesome family.

Despite their ups and downs, this Cuban-American family always supports one another. It’s not only hilarious but inspiring to watch. Who doesn’t love a good, wholesome Netflix show?

The Netflix original, One Day at a Time, puts a modern twist on the classic sitcom. It revolves around various issues we see every day in society.  At the end of the day, it’s a well-rounded show about a quirky but loving family – a family taking life just one day at a time.

Cover from YouTube

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Alexandra Kallfelz is a senior studying journalism at Boston University. Besides writing, Alexandra's passions include color guard, travel, Netflix, music, and Disney. She is a pure-blood New Englander and a dog fanatic.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.