7 Things Mindful Women Do Differently

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Mindfulness is the art of living in the present moment. As collegiettes, our busy schedules often leave us resorting to autopilot. By focusing too far into the future and getting lost in worrying about things that haven’t happened yet, we create our own unhappiness. So what do mindful women do differently?

1. Relish in the mundane.

Life is all about the little things, right? We might as well savor them! Whether it’s a sunny walk to class or a fresh cup of coffee, enjoy it.

2. Forgive yourself and others for their mistakes.

Part of living in the moment is realizing that nobody is perfect, and we can’t ask them to be. Mindful women practice unconditional acceptance—we are who we are, and they are who they are. Understand that mistakes are human, and we should use them as opportunities for growth and insight.

3. Show gratitude for good moments and grace for bad ones.

Life is a rollercoaster. Everyone says it, and it’s absolutely true. Part of living mindfully is embracing every turn of that rollercoaster—even the ones that make your tummy turn inside out! Life is fleeting, so stay present for all of it.

4. Practice compassion and nurture connections.

Kindness is too rare. Each interaction we have is a choice, and kindness is too often put on the back burner. We are busy women, yes. But we are not busy enough to merit coldness. Smile, open doors, and check up on friends that you haven’t seen in a while. Part of embracing your life is embracing the lives of those around you.

5. Make peace with imperfection, inside and out.

Living in the present means that you are not striving for an ideal self. You are you, and in this moment you must choose who that is. Do not live for tomorrow, for who you will be one day. Accept yourself now and nurture her today.

6. Embrace vulnerability—trust others and trust yourself.

Life is about taking risks and putting faith in what you can’t control. Let go a little and offer pieces of yourself to others. Engage with yourself and the people close to you— let them in. You’ll be surprised how liberating it is to express your authentic self.

7. Accept and appreciate the fleeting quality of life.

Beauty, money, fame, happiness, friendship, romance. These are all things that will come and go—and that’s okay. By living in the present, you can truly enjoy them without the fear of it vanishing. Sure, what you have now you may not have tomorrow…but that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t appreciate it today.

With these 7 steps you’ll be well on your way to living mindfully and embracing every precious moment of this perfectly imperfect life!

Savanah Macdonald is a rising sophomore at Boston University's College of Communication. She is studying to receive a BS in communication with a concentration in Public Relations. She is the Public Relations Manager for the BU Community Service Center, and the Creative Director of Promotion for PRSSA's annual PR Conference. She is also a photojournalist for the Daily Free Press. She played ice hockey for 14 years, and has recently taken up figure skating. As an aspiring PR professional, Savanah hopes to dive into the fashion/cosmetic industries to help brands engage with and empower women and men. She takes her coffee black and is addicted to all things avocado.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.