7 Reasons to Watch Animal Kingdom

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Warning! Animal Kingdom on TNT has nothing to do with animals but everything to do with animalistic behavior. The characters are lovable sociopaths that will keep you coming back for more. The main themes in this show are family, crime, sex, and drugs. So, if you’re interested in any of that, then get your computer and catch up on the first two seasons of Animal Kingdom!

1. All the characters are hot hot hot.

Janine, Josh, Deran, Craig, Andrew “Pope,” Baz, Nicky, Cat, Lucy, Ren, and even young Lena are beautiful human beings that you are blessed with in every episode. Caution: you might start staring and miss some of the action.

2. Smurf, the matriarch of the family, is a badass.

Janine “Smurf” Cody is a mischievous, greedy, and manipulative mother, grandmother, and ringleader. She steals, cheats, lies, and bosses everyone around so all the “jobs” run smoothly. While being the intimidating leader of the family, Smurf is still able to cook, clean, bake, and do the laundry.

3. Tensions running high makes for good TV.

Every family has tension, so what happens when that tension is among a family of criminals? Yeah, that’s right… the emotions are intensified and things can get stressful.

4. Everyone in the family likes to live on the edge.

They have no fears and no worries. They’re always going on an adventure and living life to the fullest. There are no limits on money and no limits on fun.

5. They’re all about crime.

Crime runs in the family and everyone needs to make money, right? They plan and carry out these insane crimes that you can only imagine in your wildest dreams.

6. And they’re all about drugs.

Doing crime is their job, so they have a lot of money and free time on their hands. Their addictions to marijuana, cocaine, oxycodone, and heroin lead to high-stress and life-or-death situations that will keep you on the edge of your seat.

7. And we can’t forget about their steamy relationships.

Their relationships blossom and then blow up in their face. Who wouldn’t want to watch that? You will fall in love with certain characters then learn to hate them pretty soon. Sounds like real life. Relatable.

There is so much more to this show than meets the eye. It keeps you coming back for more after every episode. You are constantly trying to figure out what’s happening next and most of the time you can’t. Put your phone away, grab some popcorn, and start watching. Enjoy!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Lauren is a Health Science major on the Pre-Med track at Boston University. She loves anything science and loves writing in her free time. 
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.