7 Reasons to Embrace Jack Frost

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Jack Frost is annoyingly nipping at our noses yet again! The blistering Boston wind strikes our faces. The sun begins leaving us in an early gloomy darkness at promptly 4:30pm. And all we want to do is stay indoors where we can find solace in the warm, comfy confines of our beds. But winter certainly does have its perks. Here are seven reasons to embrace dear old Mr. Frost.

1. Lights Galore! 

Nothing will get you into the winter holiday spirit better than the extravagant lights and decorations that accompany this chilly time of year. They’ll definitely boost your mood when you’re dreading stepping out of the cozy confines of your room. Take a walk through Boston and enjoy the decorations before the season comes to an end and streets and buildings return to their usual mundanity. Why not try sprucing up your own dorm room to add some holiday cheer to your space? It’ll definitely give you something better to look at than those chemistry notes on which your eyes have been fixated for the past three hours.

2. Channeling Your Inner Fashionista

The blistering cold and the gloom winter often brings may tempt you to bundle up in whatever is warm and convenient. But the winter season offers the opportunity to become a layering expert. So take advantage! Boldly colored and printed sweaters. Faux Furs. Thigh high socks and boots. Patterned tights. Trendy scarves on end. The combinations are endless. Get excited for the cold by becoming a winter fashionista.

3. Getting Snug, Cozy, and Intimate 

They don’t refer to winter as the ‘cuffing season’ for no reason! Use the excuse of staying indoors to get cozy by the fire, snuggle up to your guy, and enjoy each other’s company. And don’t forget about your girls! Sleepover, have some indoor fun, and don’t be afraid to snuggle up to your closest gals. Winter can be ideal for bonding, affection, and building intimacy in your relationships.

4. Endless Supply of Treats

Along with winter comes some of the best holiday goodies. Gingerbread. Hot chocolate. Sugar cookies. Eggnog. Chocolate covered everything! You get the point that the list can go on forever. So ignore that diet for a brief moment and ‘nom nom’ on some of the amazing delectables the winter holiday season has to offer.

5. Return of Television Favorites

With the start of a new year, the winter usually ushers in new seasons of our favorite television shows that we’ve been dying to watch. The new year even offers the possibility of adding new shows into our television schedule with series premieres. Unfortunately, winter can also be a time of one season finale after another. But don’t let that damper your mood. Try looking at it as the winter bringing clarity on some of the series’ questions you’ve been dying to know all season.

6. Holiday Parties 

From family parties your not exactly thrilled to attend to house parties with your friends, the winter season calls for holiday parties. And your chances of being present are high. Get dressed up and have fun. You could use the entertainment, especially after a stressful finals week. Even family parties can be a blast, whether you want to be there or not. I guarantee somebody’s going to do or reveal something hilariously embarrassing and you WON’T want to miss it (besides, you know everyone is dying to see you).

7. Taking in the Scenery

The snow blanketing Comm Ave can be a pain when you’re on a mission to get somewhere and fast. But it makes for beautiful scenery. Take it all in. Boston has some beautiful locations to embrace when the winter is in full effect. Check out the Esplanade, the Commons, the Public Garden,  the view from the Prudential and even more secret, beautiful spots waiting to be found.

Summer is a Boston University graduate ('15) that received a BS in Journalism with a concentration in magazine journalism. Her interests include editorial design and lifestyle, fashion, and beauty content, as she aspires to be a fashion magazine writer and editor. She is currently a fashion and beauty writer for Bustle.com and previously served as a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Boston University. Summer likes to think of herself as a lipstick enthusiast and smoothie connoisseur, so when she isn't writing for Bustle, you could probably find her sipping on a strawberry-banana smoothie and planning her next purchases at Sephora. Follow Summer on Twitter @SummerArlexis
My name is Sam and I'm a junior at Boston University in the dual degree program studying economics and business administration. Along with being the Co-President of Her Campus BU, I'm also the campus representative for Victoria's Secret PINK at BU! I'm obsessed with Boston, but I'm originally from New York and hope to live in NYC after I graduate. I love being with my friends & family, shopping, and travelling!