6 Things You Might Have Missed In The Election This Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

With around six weeks left until the polls open for the 2016 Presidential Election, here are six things you might have missed in the race to the White House this past week.

1. The Trump Campaign Used Bill Cheating On Hillary Against Her…Again

Donald Trump has recently taken to twitter to say that he would like to have Gennifer Flowers, the woman who was exposed to have had an affair with Bill Clinton in the 1970’s, sitting in the front row at the first presidential debate Monday night. Clinton’s campaign manager Robby Mook responded with worry, stating that, “It’s a warning sign before the debate has even started about Donald Trump’s lack of fitness — his bullying tactics — that make him unfit to be president.” Trump’s actions here are childish and, let’s face it, unpresidential.

2. Ted Cruz Has Officially Flip-Flopped Over To Trump’s Side

On Friday, Ted Cruz officially released a statement endorsing Donald Trump for president. After ending his own campaign in May, Cruz initially refused to throw his support to Trump, a move that angered many Republicans and hurt Cruz politically.

Trump has been an all around strategic and political disaster for Cruz, and Cruz finally decided to give in and throw Trump his support for the sake of Cruz’s own future career in government. Stay tuned to see where Ted flip-flops his allegiance to next week.

3. A Trump Victory Was Predicted By A Man Who Has Correctly Called Every Presidential Election Since 1984

Allan Lichtman is a professor at American University in Washington, D.C., and he also happens to be the man who has correctly forecasted the outcome of all presidential elections since the eighties. This year, his money is on Trump. This is certainly not good news for Clinton and her supporters, as Lichtman’s system, called the Thirteen Keys, has never been wrong since its creation. Fingers crossed that Lichtman finally takes an L.

4. Donald Trump Jr. Uses Poison Skittles To Reference Refugees

Donald Trump Jr. has landed himself in some hot water after making an analogy comparing Syrian refugees to poisonous candy. Trump Jr. tweeted out a controversial statement, saying that a person would never eat out of a bowl of Skittles if they knew three of the Skittles would kill them, and this was our refugee crisis in a nutshell. Twitter responded with outrage. Obviously, the company that manufactures Skittles, Mars, was not thrilled to get a shoutout in this context. Mars summed up their perspective on the subject by tweeting, “Skittles are candy; refugees are people. It’s an inappropriate analogy.” Well said, Mars.

5. Hillary’s New Ad Uses Trump’s Sexism Against Him And It’s Amazing

Hillary’s new attack ad on Trump is killer, and it’s right here.

No words needed. Just click the link and watch.

6. Presidential Debate History Is Set To Be Made This Monday

Going into the presidential debate on Monday, things have never been tighter in the race between Clinton and Trump. An ABC News poll shows the two candidates are almost exactly ted in the polls, with Clinton coming in at 46% and Trump at 44%.

The hour and a half long debate could potentially alter the entire tide of this extremely close race. GOP debate coach Brett O’Donnell recently stated that, “The first 30 minutes of this debate could change the entire narrative of the entire campaign.” No pressure or anything, candidates. With predictions of the viewership of this debate reaching numbers as high as 100 million people, this is going to be one for the books.

If the idea of either of these candidates winning the presidency scares you, there’s no need to panic. We still have six weeks until we need to be across that sweet Canadian border.

Julia Novello is a Film and Television major at Boston University, with a minor in Political Science. Her interests include writing, pop culture, binge watching Friends, politics, travelling, and everything to do with Tom Brady. She is a native of Boston, MA.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.