6 Spring Wardrobe Staples

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Nothing gets me more excited than the moment I can ditch my bulky winter coat and chunky sweaters for short sleeves and skirts! Even though constant snow and cold weather seems to be never ending here in Boston, spring weather will eventually come and it’ll finally be time to shed all of those heavy layers, hats, gloves and winter scarves. But with warm weather comes the need to update your closet and make room for a few key pieces for the spring season, so check out these 6 spring fashion staples and get shopping before it’s too late!

1.     Striped top. A simple striped top can do wonders for your outfit and is always a classic choice! Instead of the usual, black and navy striped versions you most likely already have, go for a colorful ensemble that will go great with a pair of shorts and flats! If you’re like me and are obsessed with knit striped tops, then this top from Madewell may be the perfect fit for you!

2.     Utility jacket. Just because women’s utility coats come in dark colors like army green does not mean they are not for spring! These masculine style utility jackets are chic and can simply pull a look together. This J.Crew Downtown Field Jacket comes in navy and mossy brown, both perfect for slipping on when it’s cool outside.

3.     Floral/Printed jeans. A vibrant pattern like that of Gap’s 1969 printed legging skinny jeans are a good fit for spring, especially with the selection of bold colors. Floral and dotted jeans are two patterns that will definitely be popular this spring. Balance out an outfit with printed jeans by pairing them with a simple white tee to create an effortlessly chic look.

4.     Flats. Flats are extremely versatile in that they can complete an outfit in the simplest way. Invest in a fun pair of flats that are plain enough to wear to out to run errands, yet classy enough to wear to an internship or out on a date. If you’re looking for a change from the typical one-colored ballet flats, try out a cap-toed version or even flats with small heels or bow detailing. These Kate Spade flats may be an investment for the average college student, but are so worth it as they are chic and pair perfectly with any spring look.

5.     A statement necklace. Jewelry designers seem to be going all out nowadays with necklaces that are bold and big. On lazy days when I don’t have the time or the energy to come up with a whole outfit, I pair a statement necklace like this eye-catching one from Bauble Bar with a tee and voila!

6.     Flowy skirt. Skirts are one of my favorite items of clothing to wear and when the weather finally permits bare legs I tend to go skirt crazy. A flowy skirt like this pleated one from Forever 21 is great for almost any occasion whether it be a lunch with girlfriends, paired with flats and a cute top, or a summer music festival, paired with sandals and a tank.

Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.