books on brown wooden shelf
books on brown wooden shelf
Susan Yin/Unsplash

6 Reasons Why the College of Communication Should Not Be Underestimated

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Boston University’s College of Communication ranked number 7 on USA Today’s College rank list for the best journalism schools. Boston University is the home of several highly ranked schools including the school of Law, school of Medicine, and school of Engineering. Although sometimes COM is overshadowed by the amazing accomplishments of our other schools, COM students are a force to be reckoned with and here’s why.

1. We’re famous.

Not to brag or anything, but radio personality Howard Stern, TV host Andy Cohen, and comedian Jeff Ross graduated from COM. 

2. We don’t study, we research.

Unlike a lot of schools, COM requires minimal testing. We focus on our writing, researching, filming, and editing skills. While students in others schools such as Questrom or the College of Engineering study for tests, COM students are creating and writing work that will be added to our portfolio for future employers to view.

3. Our profession can be dangerous.

Speaking for journalists, working in the field can put the reporter in danger. In order to get a story, we need to speak to strangers and we put our trust in them to not harm us. In my experience, there have been people who have been too close for comfort or look at me in the wrong way. The weather even has an impact on our safety. Reporting in hurricane-like winds or chasing a tornado to get footage is a threat to us. 

4. We don’t produce fake news.

Within the past year, the term fake news has been thrown around and it has impacted journalism as a profession. The public doesn’t trust the media anymore, however, it’s not professional journalists who are producing fake news. At Boston University, all COM majors are taught to confirm sources, as well as proofread stories, advertisements, and press releases to assure the most accurate information is shown to the public since our freshman year. We are trained for four years to be professional journalists with integrity and confidence to write truthful and unbiased articles. 

5. We entertain the public.

COM is a very creative school in which the most imaginative students put their minds together to create eye-catching films, graphics, and photos.  Film and TV majors create captivating work like movies, tv shows, and news programs. The shows we watch on TV and Netflix are created, directed, and produced by people who studied the craft in college like our film and tv students. We wouldn’t have shows like Riverdale, Stranger Things, or Jane the Virgin without the help of people who studied film and TV.

6. The Superbowl wouldn’t be the same without advertising majors.

Let’s not pretend the Superbowl is the best thing to watch. It’s a great American tradition, but what everyone looks forward to is not who is going to win the Superbowl, but who will have the best commercial. We want to see what new commercial Budweiser and Coca-Cola comes out with to see if it can top the year before. The world wouldn’t have these heart-wrenching commercials like last year’s 84 Lumber immigration commercial, which tugged at America’s heartstrings, without COM majors. Advertising majors are responsible for the cute puppy commercials that make you want to go to the nearest animal shelter and adopt all of their puppies.  Without ad majors, our Superbowl Sunday would just feel like any normal Sunday.

The College of Communication is a hardworking school that produces talented professionals ready to take on the world.  It is a great school and should be treated equally to other BU colleges rather than feel inferior.

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

I am a senior studying broadcast journalism at Boston University
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.