6 FREE Events to Get You Excited for Fall in Boston

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

By Lexi Herosian

Summer is over. Three of the most depressing words you could read. BUT the exciting news is that fall in Boston can be enjoyable, too! Whether it be walking around the Charles gazing upon the lovely foliage, or snuggling up in fluffy sweater eating yummy food at a festival downtown, Boston is THE place to be at this time of year. Here are some FREE events around the city to mark on your calendar.

1. Boston Book Festival

This year the festival will be in Copley Square on Saturday, October 15th at 12:45 p.m.. There will be storytelling by writers like Tom Perrotta, Saeed Jones (executive editor for culture for BuzzFeed), Christopher Lydon (WBUR), and more. Come listen to stories and ideas from the most inspirational readers and writers of Boston! For more info click here

2. Columbus Day Parade

On Sunday, October 10th, marching band, militia, and Italian organizations in Boston march down Bennington Street in East Boston to celebrate Italian culture in remembrance of Christopher Columbus’s expedition. Celebrate one Boston’s official holidays the right way!

3. Halloween Pet Parade (aka The 6th Annual Canine Promenade)

It is a Halloween Pet Parade, enough said. On Saturday, October 23rd from noon until 2 p.m., an adorable group of dogs will be dressed in different Halloween costumes and walk around the Esplanade. This is definitely an event you DON’T want to miss. 

4. Museum of Fine Arts Overnight: College Edition

From 9 p.m. on October 14 until 9 a.m. on October 15, members and non-members of the MFA are able to enter the museum for free. The event will take place in the Linde Family Wing for Contemporary Art. Food and drinks will be available for purchase, as well as access to the courtyard for late night stargazing!

5. Boston Common Pumpkin Float

On Sunday, October 23rd at 4:30 p.m. until 6:30 p.m., families and friends gather around the Boston Common Frog Pond and let their lit jack-o’-lanterns float across the water. People are encouraged to not only bring their own pumpkins, but to dress in Halloween costume attire as well! This event is a great way to connect with fellow Bostonians and start off the Halloween celebrations to come!

6. Let’s Talk About Food Festival

The Let’s Talk About Food Festival is back for its 5th year in Copley Square on Saturday, October 1st. The festival includes cooking demonstrations, talks with professional chefs about buying safe and healthy foods, and samples from delicious and nutritious food vendors! 

Make the transition from summer to fall a bit easier by attending these events without breaking the bank!

Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.