5 Wardrobe Essentials for this Weirdly Warm Fall Weather

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Whether you’re a believer in climate change or not, everyone has to admit that it’s been unseasonably warm this fall. One day you might finally feel a hint of that highly anticipated autumn chill, and the next you’re back to wearing shorts and breaking a sweat on your commute to class. Just when you thought you could store your warm weather clothes until spring, you’re facing a wardrobe conundrum of how to dress when it’s 70 degrees in October. With the help of these five staple pieces, you can have a stylish autumn outfit and beat the unusual heat.

1. Lightweight Tee Shirt

Photo from urbanoutfitters.com

A light tee is an essential base-layer to build any ensemble. Paired with a jacket and jeans, or tucked into a skirt with a cardigan on top, a basic tee shirt that goes with anything will quickly become your favorite piece for this in-between weather.

2. Jean Jacket

Photo from bloomingdales.com

Jean jackets are another must-have when it comes to layering. Throw it on as you leave for class on a chilly morning, and peel it off later when the sun starts shining in the afternoon. Look for a jean jacket with embroidered or beaded details to add a unique touch to any basic outfit.

3. Suede Skirt

Photo from urbanoutfitters.com

Suede skirts are the perfect item to transition from summer to fall. You’ll be able to keep your legs bare and cool, while still bringing in the warmer and cozier fall fabric. Looking to be even more festive for fall? Look for a skirt in a rich autumn color like maroon or chestnut brown!

4. Flowy Pants

When the weather’s still a little too warm for snug fitting denim jeans or leggings, try slipping into some flowy pants for a breezier look. Not only can you find these pants in all sorts of fun patterns and prints, but they’re also great for those warmer fall days when you don’t want to wear anything skintight, but you’re over wearing shorts.

5. Jumpsuit

Not only are jumpsuits a whole outfit in one, but they are a great go-to piece for this unseasonably warm autumn. Throw on a sweater on a chilly night, or just pair with your favorite accessories, and you’ve got an effortless outfit that’s perfect for fall!

Hopefully, these five wardrobe essentials will be a good starting point to style the perfect fall ensembles. Whether you’re going pumpkin picking or just going to class, these staple pieces will make getting dressed for this warm fall weather a breeze!

Lexa is a junior at Boston University, studying Journalism in the College of Communication. You can often find her sipping on an iced coffee and trying to take an artsy photo that fits her Instagram aesthetic. Lexa hopes she can someday combine her passions for fashion, art, dance, and writing into a career, but for now, she'll be strolling down Comm Ave trying to make #LifeasLexa a personal brand.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.