5 Tips for Keeping Up With Your New Year’s Resolutions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

As January ends and you’ve substituted your gym shoes for slippers already, don’t give up yet! Statistics show that the majority of people who make New Year’s resolutions do not keep them, which is why we tend to think they are pointless.

I believe in New Year’s Resolutions. Even if you see the calendar change as a mere excuse, any excuse to try a healthy, more balanced life is a good excuse. When you get off track, just having an intention in mind can change our lives so vastly and for the better.

So if you are hitting that one-month slump, try these tips to break bad habits and make “new” ones.

1. Pick a resolution buddy. Any commitment is easier to make when you have someone to back you up and push you to be better. Ask a trustworthy person what her resolutions are and make a pact to support each other, whether you have the same resolution or not.

2. Talk about it! It’s harder to turn your back on something when you’ve made verbal announcements about it. When it comes up in conversation, don’t hold back from talking about your journey and how this resolution will be good for you.

3. Don’t bite off more than you can chew. If you’re working two jobs, trying to make Dean’s List and enjoying having a smidgen of a personal life, then maybe losing 10 pounds and learning how to cook aren’t the best goals for you in that current state. Once you know your limits, you can make resolutions that work for you, not against you.

4. Track your progress. Making notes (physical or mental) on your improvements will remind you that this resolution is totally worth the effort. Check in with yourself and assess how you’re feeling physically, emotionally and spiritually after a couple weeks of committing to your resolution.

5. Don’t beat yourself up. Seriously. We all make mistakes and we all break promises. Don’t waste your energy on being mad at yourself when you can use that energy to get back into your ambitious mindset. You can always return to resolutions, no matter how many times you break them.

Some things are completely out of our control. But when we use our power over what we can control, this could be the best year yet!

Caroline is a junior ('16) at Boston University studying Public Relations with a concentration in Women's Studies. When she was little she taught herself how to play the french horn and then promptly forgot. You can find her people-watching on the esplanade, getting her downward dog on at Sweat & Soul Yoga or engaging in high-intelligence internet content such as corgi GIFs and Lady Gaga's Twitter account. If you make strong coffee, then you have rights to automatic friendship status. Tweet at Caroline and make her day! @caroline_mary6
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.