The 5 Strangest Classes You Can Take At BU

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

College is a time for experimenting. We experiment with new mindsets, new outlooks on life, new clothes, new rituals, new hobbies, new foods, new morals, new looks, new interest, new friends.

So why not take a random, interesting-looking, out of the ordinary class you would never take with your major to spice things up a bit? You might learn something new about yourself you’ve never known before!

So if you have those extra free credits or those extra elective courses you need to squeeze in, here are the 5 strangest courses you might want to consider taking just for the thrill of it:

“Alien Worlds” -Astronomy (CAS AS105) 4 cr.

Interested in outer space and possible life beyond the Earth? In this Astronomy class you investigate worlds within and outside our solar system. Find out what qualities a planet must possess to be suitable for life and which might currently have living creatures inhabiting them.  

“Magic, Science and Religion” –Religion/History (CAS RN242/ CAS HI203) 4 cr.

Wish you were at Hogwarts instead of BU? Well this might get you close. Learn about how magic has transformed our scientific and religious beliefs throughout history and how these topics all relate to each other.

“Literary Monsters” –Writing (CAS WR100) 4 cr.

This course investigates some of literatures most hideous creatures: humans, beasts, and the wild things in between, from what lurks under the bed to what lingers out on the moors. Enjoy the creepy ride!

“Fine Wines” –Hospitality (SHA HF329) 2 cr.

Love wine? Love drinking wine? This introductory level course offers an overview of the fine wines of the world. The class will teach you about the golden regions of wine production and what makes these wines so delicious and velvety.

“Scuba” –Aquatics (PDP AQ220) 1 cr.

Forget waiting for your Bahamas vacation to get scuba certified, just do it right here! Learn the physical and academic things you need to know to be able to scuba dive like a pro and get ready to explore the oceans!

Roxanne is a 21-year old Boston University student from Düsseldorf, Germany, who is majoring in Film & TV and is currently completing a semester in Los Angeles, California.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.