5 Stages of Snow Grief by Dogs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Walking around Boston is a bit of a surreal feeling lately. With 5-foot snow banks and wind chills that give you an excuse for your tears, this winter has shown relentless force. This year, Mother Nature didn’t want a winter wonderland – she wanted the tundra.

In the absence of sunlight, seasonal depression becomes a real issue for many students and grief over the sensational snowfall may arise. My solution: dogs. Dog pictures are appropriate for any stressful time – finals, job rejections, relationship problems, or days when you’re just generally feeling down. Even if you prefer the companionship of a feline or reptile friend, a dog’s goofy nature is bound to raise your spirits.

For the 5 stages of grief, here are some dogs that have also felt our pain through this never-ending snow saga.

1.     Denial

“I can still walk and text without my fingers falling off. The snow will be gone tomorrow…”

2.     Anger

“THE T ISN’T RUNNING AGAIN??”

3.     Bargaining/Regret

“I didn’t apply to school in California because…?”

4.     Depression

“I can’t do anything but binge-watch Netflix. It’s not like I’ll ever have class again anyway.”

5.     Acceptance 

“This snow may be here until May, but if I can get through this winter, I can get through anything.”

February will be over this week and soon our winter blues will be behind us. When you’re struggling to find the motivation to walk to class, just try to remember that first snow day excitement. Soon, it will be sunshine and you won’t have to wear the same pair of boots every day. But for now, it’s all about attitude.

Caroline is a junior ('16) at Boston University studying Public Relations with a concentration in Women's Studies. When she was little she taught herself how to play the french horn and then promptly forgot. You can find her people-watching on the esplanade, getting her downward dog on at Sweat & Soul Yoga or engaging in high-intelligence internet content such as corgi GIFs and Lady Gaga's Twitter account. If you make strong coffee, then you have rights to automatic friendship status. Tweet at Caroline and make her day! @caroline_mary6
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.