5 Reasons Why Yoga is Beneficial to Your Body

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

If you didn’t already know, September is national yoga month! Even though September is already coming to a close, it’s never to late to practice a little bit of yoga. October means stressful midterms to study for and prepping for winter so why not introduce a healthy and beneficial practice to your routine. Here are some of the many benefits that yoga can bring to your life:

1. Increased Flexibility: This is an obvious result of practicing yoga. Not only are you becoming more flexible, but you feel less tense which allows you to relax a bit more!

2. Increased Energy: As with any physical activity— you feel better once you have worked out for example— not only does yoga give you a good work out, it is very easy on your joints and ligaments, which helps prevent injury and increases energy.

3. Circulatory Health: A lot of people don’t realize that yoga is actually a great way to improve circulation. The stretching and formation of muscles allows for new blood flow to the surface and through the body.

4. Improved Mental Health: Yoga is a practice that requires full concentration and awareness. While taking a yoga class, you tend to focus so much on what you are doing in that moment that you forget all that is going on in the outside world. This is great if you are having a particularly stressful week or are experiencing serious mental issues.

5. Helps Posture: This benefit is one of my favorites. Students today are always hunching over their laptops or their desks for long periods of time and this can do some serious damage to your spine and shoulders. Yoga helps loosen the muscles in your shoulder and neck area and allows the spine to become more flexible which will in turn lead to better posture.

Fun Fact: CorePower Yoga (located in Packards Corner) offers a free trial week for unlimited classes, so be sure to check them out!

Summer is a Boston University graduate ('15) that received a BS in Journalism with a concentration in magazine journalism. Her interests include editorial design and lifestyle, fashion, and beauty content, as she aspires to be a fashion magazine writer and editor. She is currently a fashion and beauty writer for Bustle.com and previously served as a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Boston University. Summer likes to think of herself as a lipstick enthusiast and smoothie connoisseur, so when she isn't writing for Bustle, you could probably find her sipping on a strawberry-banana smoothie and planning her next purchases at Sephora. Follow Summer on Twitter @SummerArlexis