5 Reasons Why Being Single is the Best Gift on Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

By Eliza Shaw

February 14th can be a rough day for some people…particularly those who are not in a relationship. However, I am writing this to prove to all of you out there…taken or not…that being single is the very best status to have on Valentine’s Day!

1. You get to save a whole lot of money.

You’re already a college student with tuition putting a “dent” (to say the least) on your bank account. So, having to go out and buy overpriced chocolates and flowers for someone else is quite the burden. Now, if you want to go out and buy overpriced chocolates for yourself, I totally applaud you. In fact, give me a call, I’ll come!

2. No need to go out with the masses and get trampled walking to your table.

Okay, we get it, you got reservations at the crème de le crème of Boston restaurants. But the real struggle hasn’t even begun yet–– you have to arrive there and find your table. Forget actually eating…you’re lucky if you don’t come home with a wound on your face. Us single folk don’t need to worry about that.

3. Don’t stress about making a reservation two months in advance.

You have enough stress in your life; there are so many more options now. No need to call the fancy (and again, overpriced) restaurants in December to reserve a table overlooking the Charles River. All you have to do is call up Domino’s, use your BU ID for that solid discount, and wait 20 minutes. Then BAM, you got pizza, lava cake, and leftover chocolates that you bought at CVS.

4. You don’t have to be limited to Rom Coms all night.

We all love a good Rom Com. Love Actually––amazing. Bridget Jones’ Diary––classic. But what if February 14th comes around and the only thing you want to watch is Jaws? Well, the good news is, you don’t have anyone telling you that you should watch romantic comedies, or that it would be “the end to a perfect night”. In my book, watching Jaws and hearing the famous “We’re gonna need a bigger boat” line is the perfect night itself.

5. Last but certainly not least…Galentine’s Day!

It doesn’t matter if you know a Leslie Knope or not…Galentine’s day is universal. Use February 14th as an excuse to hang out with you girls. Buy each other cheap gifts and watch movies of any genre. Slather on some face masks. If that doesn’t get you excited about being single on Valentine’s day, I don’t know what will.

There are a lot more reasons why being single (both on Valentine’s Day and on any other day) is truly ideal, but I’ll stop there so you can start renting your movies, ordering your pizza, and unwrapping your chocolates. Seriously though, I guarantee you most of us are chilling with our friends or taking some well needed and well deserved alone time this February 14th. 

After all, it’s just another Wednesday! And if you want, you can wear pink…only because “on Wednesdays, we wear pink“!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.