5 Awkward Family Questions Every College Student is Asked During Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

As I returned home for Thanksgiving break, I could not contain my excitement to be reunited with my family, home cooked meals, and bed (obviously).  Though there is nothing quite like being home, I anxiously awaited the family reunion because I knew that as soon as I walked into my Aunt’s house for the holiday, the questioning would begin.  Whether it’s about my major, friends, or boys, there is nothing off limits when it comes to the family Q&A. 

While undergoing an interview about college life, we always seem to come up with two answers to these questions: the truth, and the politically correct answer you end up telling your family.  It’s not that we want to lie to them, but as the saying goes, some things that happen in college should stay in college.

As winter break approaches and we set off to be home for a month, (cough, cough, A LOT of family functions), there’s only one thing we can do, prepare for these inevitable awkward family interviews.  Here are five questions you’ll most likely be asked over break and how you should answer them, despite what you’re really thinking.

1. “How’s school?”

In your mind: “OMG, school is amazing.  College is by far the best thing that has ever happened.  The fact that I can go out Tuesdays, Thursdays, Fridays, and Saturdays if I want is insane.  We just have so much freedom and independence, it’s just so much fun!”

What you’ll actually say: “I love it.  All of my teachers and classes are so interesting and I really feel like I’m learning a lot.  This semester has been great, I’m working really hard and thankfully it’s paying off!”

2. “Do you know what you want to do after college?”

In your mind: “Um, no.  Actually the idea of graduating really freaks me out because I’m so not ready to be a real person yet.  How am I supposed to get a job and find a place to live and pay for my life?  I really just want to take a gap year, or two, or three…”

What you’ll actually say: “Well I’m not exactly sure where my path will take me but I think that through interning I’ll have a better idea of what I love doing and what I don’t.  BU really stresses internships so I’ve been speaking with an advisor and we have been working on my resume so that I’m well prepared!”

3. “So, any boys?”

In your mind: “Well you’re going to have to be more specific here.  Boys as in random hook ups?  There have definitely been a handful of those…”

What you’ll actually say: “No there’s no boys right now.  Honestly I’m so busy with school that a boy would just be a distraction.”

4. “Any crazy college parties?”

In your mind: “There are so many fun parties but sadly the only thing I can remember from them is the hangover I have the next morning.”

What you’ll actually say: “Yeah, the parties are fun but I don’t really go out that much.  My friends and I love a good wine night.”

5. “What do you do in your spare time?”

In your mind:  “Well when I’m not in class or studying you can usually find me in my bed binge watching Netflix.”

What you’ll actually say: “Boston is such an amazing city and there’s so much to do!  Sometimes my friends and I will go on little trips to Faneuil Hall or the North End just to experience different parts of Boston while we are here.”     

Sound familiar?

Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.