4 Lessons Learned During the First Week of Freshman Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

As a college freshman, everyone arrives on campus not knowing a single thing about college life. No one knows what to expect on the first day of class, the first weekend, or the first time not having your bestie by your side. It is scary being thrown into a new situation without a familiar routine, a solid set of friends, or a general knowledge of how to maneuver a foreign campus. Although freshman year may seem terrifying, we all make it out alive and become familiar with college life! During the first week of the next four years of our lives, we learned a few things that helped us get by.

1. The weather (especially here in New England) is always unpredictable, so take advantage of the nicer days!

The change in workload from high school to college may have us in a hurry to hit the library right after class, but try to take advantage of the warm weather! It can be really relaxing to sit outside in the sun and do your work, plus we all know that in a few weeks we will be bombarded with snow and rain. When you are stuck indoors all winter long, you’ll look back fondly on the afternoons you spent working outside.

2. Don’t wear every piece of college apparel all at once.

As freshmen, it’s understandable that we want to show off all of our new, beautiful college apparel and fancy merchandise. But, when we wear everything at once we tend to get some weird looks from upperclassmen. It’s okay to wear your new school hoodie and carry around your awesome school water bottle, but try to avoid adding your new sweatpants, hat, scarf and embroidered backpack to the look. Don’t be afraid to show school spirit but always remember balance is key!

3. Take advantage of the free stuff, but don’t go too crazy…

It is so easy to take everything handed out at school events or just randomly on campus. Who doesn’t LOVE free stuff? But it is also really easy to go overboard on the items you are taking. Before you know it, you end up with 7 different frisbees, 25 sets of stickers and 6 pairs of sunglasses. If you aren’t careful with the amount of stuff you collect, you may end up hoarding a bunch of useless stuff that takes up precious space in your tiny dorm room.

4. Don’t be afraid to talk to people.

This concept seems so simple and overstated, but it can be seriously intimidating. If you are lost, don’t be embarrassed to ask people for directions. If you don’t have someone to sit with in the dining hall, don’t hold back on the five magic words: “Hi, can I sit here?” It can be nerve wracking to strike up a conversation with a stranger, but they are most likely in the same situation as you and are eager to make new friends (and when in doubt, just talk about Harry Styles — we all love Harry Styles).

And that’s what we have learned so far throughout our weeklong journey of being a freshman. As time goes on, we will learn more and more and eventually gain comfort in our new college lives. Don’t be afraid to put yourself out there, make new memories, study hard, and have the time of your life!

Taleen is a freshman in the Boston University College of Communication, pursuing a degree in journalism. She aspires to write for magazines and newspapers about current events. When she isn’t blogging or studying, Taleen enjoys spending her time discovering new music, redecorating her dorm room, taking BuzzFeed quizzes, FaceTiming her cat and searching for the most delicious cup of coffee in Boston. You can follow her on Twitter @taleensim
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.