3 Ways to Support Breast Cancer Awareness

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

We all love the month of October, because it means pumpkin spice lattes, apple picking, and football. Well here’s even more to love: October is also the month of Breast Cancer Awareness. Her Campus BU is a huge supporter of Breast Cancer Awareness month, because it brings together two of our all-time favorite things: the color pink and giving back to our community.

There are multiple ways to give to this worthy cause. You might consider rounding up your friends for a Breast Cancer Awareness 5K or you could simply donate to the Susan G. Komen Foundation for Breast Cancer Research at http://ww5.komen.org. BU’s Gamma Phi Beta sorority and Kappa Sigma fraternity are also sponsoring a Breast Cancer Awareness week on campus, starting tomorrow! Here are some fun opportunities for the entire BU community to show its support for Breast Cancer Awareness:

1.     “On Wednesdays We Wear Pink”

We don’t really need an excuse to wear pink and quote Mean Girls, but why not? This Wednesday, the 22nd, 15% of the cost of your meal at Sunset Cantina will go to Susan G. Komen with a flyer that will be handed out at the GSU Link by Gamma Phi Beta and Kappa Sigma. Also, Insomnia Cookies will donate 5% of their total sales for the day to Susan G. Komen (no flyers needed). If there is over $3,000 in sales, they will donate 8% to Breast Cancer Awareness. Yes, that’s a night of nachos and cookies with no guilt, because you’re helping a great cause!

2.     “Get Pink’d at the Link”

Throughout the week, there will be pink ribbons, candy, stickers, and photo opportunities at the GSU Link. Show your support and get a cute new pic for your Instagram.  Please use the hashtag #buteampink throughout Breast Cancer Awareness Week. There will also be giveaways on Thursday and Friday at the Link so keep coming back for more!

3.     “Kick for a Cure”

On Saturday, October 25th, Gamma Phi Beta and Kappa Sigma will host a kickball tournament benefiting the Susan G. Komen foundation for Breast Cancer Research.  The event is from 7pm to 9pm on the New Balance Field. You do not need to be Greek to attend, so invite all your friends! There are 8 players to a team (4 guys and 4 girls), and it’s $10 per person to play or $5 to spectate. Tickets can be purchased on Eventbrite only, and you can pay individually or as a team: http://kickforacure2014.eventbrite.com/.

Choose your teams, play hard and have fun! Regardless of which team you are on, we are all on Team Pink!