3 Ways To Rock A Plaid Shirt In The Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

One fall trend that never seems to go out of style is plaid. A good plaid shirt is an incredibly versatile wardrobe staple that can be paired with so many different pieces in your closet! Keep reading for some fresh new suggestions for styling that trusty button-down that are a bit more exciting than the usual jeans and tank top combo.

1)  Preppy

Look pretty and polished by layering your favorite cozy sweater over your plaid shirt, making sure that the collar and shirt cuffs are still visible. This will add an exciting pop of pattern and color to an otherwise basic ensemble while still ensuring that you stay nice and warm as the weather begins to get colder. 

2) Grunge

Plaid was a huge trend of the 90s alternative fashion scene, which is currently gaining popularity once again. Channel your inner grunge goddess by layering a long open flannel over a baby doll style dress and slip on a pair of combat boots or Doc Martens for the ultimate rocker vibe. In order to keep the whole ensemble from appearing too baggy, it’s also a good idea to accessorize with a belt that cinches at the waist. 

3) Chic

Keep yourself from looking like a lumberjack by dressing up your shirt with a skater skirt, black tights, and tons of fun accessories. This mix is the perfect combination for looking glamorous and cool while out with friends or while walking to class with that chill autumn weather. 

Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.