23 Shakespeare Quotes as Motivational Posters

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

William Shakespeare is arguably the most brilliant man in all of history. In his lifetime, he wrote 38 plays in 52 years and created countless popular words and phrases. His plays have withstood the test of time and are still performed in high schools, colleges, and theatres across the nation.

He passed away on April 23rd, on St. George’s Day. This year, on the 400th anniversary of his death, there were tons of celebrations in the UK in his honor. BBC held a special event called “Shakespeare Live!” hosted by David Tennant, featuring Dame Judi Dench, Sir Ian McKellen, Dame Helen Mirren and Benedict Cumberbatch.

But in honor of the death of the love of my life Will, here are 23 quotes (and their paraphrases) to inspire you in your daily life:

1.

Identify opportunity, and know that your time will come whether it already has, or will in the near future.

2.

Be true to yourself always, and who you are will be obvious to everyone around you.

3.

There are so many opportunities that the world has to offer, but don’t take on too much at once.

4.

Always tell the truth. There is nothing better to be remembered for than being honest.

5.

One of Will’s many play on words: Words do not elicit actions. It is kind to say something good, but words are not actions. It is better to do than to say you’ll do.

6.

Be transparent and straightforward about your emotions.

7.

True love isn’t easy, but it’s worth it.

8.

Even though you’re a little girl in a big world, you can do very big things.

9.

Be humble.

10.

Actions speak louder than words.

11.

Make sure you are living life, helping others, and helping yourself.

12.

It is not selfish to love yourself. Do not neglect yourself.

13.

If you’re feeling miserable or depressed, the only cure you have is hope. Hope is what keeps you going.

14.

If someone is trying to make you miserable, and you don’t let them get you down, you’re winning. 

15.

Time itself will right wrongs and reveal who is to blame.

16.

Listen to everyone, but don’t be quick to pass judgement. Or, can be read out of context as “don’t waste your words on people who don’t deserve it.”

17.

Life is a dream, and when we die we awake from the dream into reality. 

18.

No matter what obstacles are in your way, be as resilient as time—no matter what it goes through every day.

19.

If we are afraid and doubt ourselves it will prevent us from doing what we are truly capable of doing.

20.

I think this one speaks for itself.

21.

We know the kind of people we are now, but not the kind of people we will be in the future.

22.

Slow and steady wins the race.

23.

We have the power to change the future.

Feel free to take these and use them wherever you want. Spread the knowledge of beautiful genius William Shakespeare and celebrate #Shakespeare400.

This post is dedicated to one of my favorite teachers, Mr. Michael Greiner, who passed away over Easter. He made me fall in love and stay in love with Shakespeare, despite everything, throughout high school. He will be missed tremendously. “Good night, sweet prince; and may flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.” –Hamlet

Zoe is a Senior at Boston University in the College of Communication, majoring in Public Relations and minoring in English and Psychology, and is the Campus Correspondent for her chapter. Originally from the Washington DC area, Zoe loves going to museums, concerts, and working at Baby Gap. In her free time, Zoe can be found crafting, watching Netflix, and scoping out the latest trends. Always catch her yelling enthusiastically about something, or making really corny jokes.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.