12 Things You Should Never Say to a Collegiette with ADHD

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

I am a twenty-year-old college sophomore and I have ADHD. I am not the most “typical” case because I am so old and it is thought to be a predominantly childhood disorder. Most people I talk to assume kids “grow out of it” or “mellow out” by adulthood. That is not the case for me, or for many college-aged women who are diagnosed with ADHD. Between us there is a sense of community knowing we’ve probably faced these eye-rolling experiences.

1. “Oh my God I totally know what you mean. I can NEVER concentrate in my math lecture!” 

Sorry, it’s a little more than not paying attention to a boring class. Before I was medicated, I could not focus in classes I loved. I would space out in the middle of conversations, and I would have difficulty finishing anything.

2. “Ugh I wish I could get extra time on exams. You’re so lucky!” 

I get extra time (in very specific subjects) because I need to allot an extra time cushion to fix the errors I made by not paying attention the first time. For example, answering several questions on my Italian exam in French.  

3. “It’s so easy to get diagnosed now, kids can just pretend they can’t focus and walk out with Adderall” 

Okay, you’re just incorrect on several different levels here. First of all, it is not easy to get diagnosed, and most people with an official diagnosis had to go through extensive testing (300 questions that made me want to die) and clinical interviews. When all of that is completed, Ritalin is the first line of treatment because it is less intense.

4. “You just aren’t motivated enough.” 

Wow okay, first of all, rude. Second of all, I can promise you I am motivated and want literally nothing more than to be able to pay attention (and to be married to Prince Harry but that’s another thing) and if I could will myself to not have ADHD with enough motivation I would.

5. “Maybe just try exercising more, something like Yoga to calm you down” 

Yes. I can just run my ADHD away. With enough sun salutations I will magically have the proper neurotransmitter activity to sustain attention and minimize my hyperactivity. That being said, exercise has been helpful for me to channel my energy.

6. “My six year old cousin has ADHD and he’s all over the place. You’re so calm, are you sure you have it?” 

This may come as a surprise to you, but a college-aged woman might present her symptoms differently than a six-year-old boy. I do in fact have a little more control over my actions than a first grader.  

7. “Hey can you do… *proceeds to list off seven things*” 

No. I mean I totally can, but I’m gonna need you to write that down because I will never remember that.  

8. “Are you sure you aren’t just spending too much time on your phone?” 

This just in people: excessive phone usage does not cause ADHD.

9. *Anything while I’m in the zone or in the middle of working on something* 

Do you know how hard it is to keep myself working on something? Unless you are on fire, I am on fire, or Ryan Gosling is in the building, it does not warrant an interruption.  

10. “How are you not getting straight A’s you’re on ADHD meds.” 

11. “Why do you talk so fast?” 

Hyperactivity. Let me know if I need to talk slower or quieter because I have a tendency to shout when excited, (but that’s just ’cause I’m loud).  

12. “Can you sell me some of your Ritalin?” 

No. What the hell? That’s super illegal. I don’t have the attention span for prison. 

So next time, think before you speak.

Sophie is a junior at Boston University studying Psychology and Education. When she isn't memorizing parts of the brain or writing papers on the philosophies of teaching, she likes to dance, shop, and obsess over her pet rabbit.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.