12 Date-Worthy Boston dates to Try Now

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Ask yourself, “How many times have I been on the textbook dinner and a movie date? And how many times has it been so UNamazing?”

This is the year to make a pledge to yourself not to go on boring dates anymore. (Actually it’s hard to promise the guy won’t be boring, but if you try out these Boston date-destinations, you’re sure to have a memorable time.) A friend once told me about an awesome date had— though she didn’t feel a connection with the guy— because the location was so original.

Try any of these cool (and affordable) places to go out with the boyf, your new crush or a spontaneous Tinder fling!

1.     BU Astronomy Observatory

You don’t even need to leave BU for this date! Every cloudless Wednesday night, the Astronomy Department hosts a public open night for night-sky seekers to view parts of the universe only visible with telescopes. In the fall and winter months viewing starts at 7:30 and in the spring and summer months viewing starts at 8:30. It’s free to go but can be busy, so be sure to reserve tickets in advance. If you’re not sure about the weather, call 617-353-2630, no earlier than two hours before the scheduled starting time to find out if the event will be held.

2.     Clayroom

If you love making things, but can’t afford Paint Nite, head to Brookline to paint a pottery masterpiece! Open daily until 10 p.m., creators pay an $8 entrance fee and then can choose to decorate a piece between $12-$15 on average. If you go on a Monday night though, the entrance fee is only $4 per person. Reservations aren’t required but are strongly recommended. Simply call (617) 566-7575 to set up a time. Clayroom also recommends you don’t start painting later than 8 o’clock because it takes an average two hours to finish a masterpiece. When you finish your pottery, it will be fired within 5 days and then you can pick it up and have a little souvenir of this fun date. Like pizza? Go on a Tuesday night starting at 6 to get free pizza while you paint. If you’re 21+ try going on a Wednesday evening starting at 6 for Clayroom’s special wine and cheese night for only $30 per painter! Also, BYOB to those of you of legal age.

3.     James P. Kelleher Rose Garden on the Fens

True, the Esplanade is beautiful, but it’s time to switch it up. Enjoy a romantic stroll through the Back Bay fens, stopping at the James P. Kelleher Rose Garden. The floral beauty speaks for itself.

4.     Bluesy Tuesy

This is a blues dance club in Cambridge that happens every Tuesday! The dance occurs 8:30 -11 p.m., but come an hour early to participate in the (optional) dance class teaching you how to blues dance. That way you’ll have a repertoire of steps so you won’t be totally clueless when the dance time comes around! No experience or partner is necessary, though you will be taking your date of course! Just bring a water bottle, comfortable dancing shoes and a positive attitude. You can find Bluesy Tuesy at 45 Mount Auburn Street in Cambridge, right in the heart of Harvard Square.

5.     Knight Moves Café

If you’re a little competitive, try playing board games all night. For $5 cover Monday-Wednesday and $10 cover Thursday-Sunday you have unlimited access to the café’s tremendous library of board games. From contemporary classics to pop-culture spin-offs, this date-spot is anything but a sunken battleship. It’s also BYOB for 21+ aged guests!

6.     Boston Duck Tour

You can’t get more Boston than going on a duck tour! Explore the city in a semi-aquatic vehicle, seeing all of the historic sites and learning quirky little facts about the city. Student tickets are only $30 per person. Head out for the day with bae for some traditional (and silly) sight-seeing.

7.     ImprovBoston

If you love comedy and an entertaining show, you have to see comedians perform at ImprovBoston. The schedule is always subject to change, but students always receive cheaper tickets if you buy at the door ($8-$14 per person). Not too far from the Central stop on the Red Line, this is perfect for a spontaneous night of fun. If you find you love good comedy or a good show, you can also try Improv Asylum in the North End (for a higher price), Blue Man Group ($30 student rush tickets—check @BMGBoston on Twitter for daily availability) or the Boston Symphony Orchestra (students can obtain a $25 student card allowing unlimited admission to BSO concerts for the year).

8.     The Red Room at Café 939

See a FREE concert at Berklee College of Music’s performance venue. Embracing countless styles of music, from rock, jazz, folk, and world music to bluegrass, hip-hop, avant-garde, and more you’ll find something wonderful and unexpected to listen to. Just be sure to check the schedule!

9.     LEGOLAND®

Every third Wednesday night of each month from 7-9 p.m., LEGOLAND® in Somerville shuts down for an adults-only experience. Tickets are $22.95 per person for you to really let your child-at-heart side out!

10.  Belly Dancing at the Middle East

If blues dancing really isn’t your thing, try belly dancing instead! Each Sunday night there are professional belly dance performances, and you can even take part to show off your moves during open floor time. There’s a $5 suggested donation for participation.

11.  Sam Adams Brewery Tour

If you are of legal drinking age, you MUST tour the Sam Adams brewery at 30 Germania Street. Tours depart approximately every 45 minutes and last for one hour—and the best part about it is that they’re FREE (suggested $2 donation)! You’ll learn all about Sam Adams brand, experience the brewing process, taste the malts and smell the hops used in brewing, and you’ll even get the chance to sample some beer! Please note, the brewery doesn’t accept reservations and tickets are handed out on a first come, first served basis, so arrive early.

12.  Boston’s Great Museums

Boston boasts so many great museums to visit and many are available for free to BU students or at a discounted rate. So channel your inner art conoisseur and give one of these amazing museum a try! 

But if you still love a classic love dinner and a movie, pick out a cool restaurant and head over to the Coolidge Corner Theater for a more out-of-the-ordinary date. And you still can never go wrong with a picnic on the Esplanade, Red Sox game or dinner in the North End (or Chinatown if you’re more adventurous).

If you have any other creative date ideas for this season or another, feel free to tweet me @AllisonRebeccaP so I can put together another roundup of original date spots!

An advertising student at Boston University, Allison Penn has been writing for HCBU since fall 2013. Her favorite beat is tips for internships and professionalism, but enjoys musing about pop culture too. She loves the weekly #Adweekchat, children's books, the colors olive and eggplant, Friends, magazines and dark chocolate. Secretly, she still wishes she could be a ballerina when she grows up. Follow on Twitter: @AllisonRebeccaP
Summer is a Boston University graduate ('15) that received a BS in Journalism with a concentration in magazine journalism. Her interests include editorial design and lifestyle, fashion, and beauty content, as she aspires to be a fashion magazine writer and editor. She is currently a fashion and beauty writer for Bustle.com and previously served as a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Boston University. Summer likes to think of herself as a lipstick enthusiast and smoothie connoisseur, so when she isn't writing for Bustle, you could probably find her sipping on a strawberry-banana smoothie and planning her next purchases at Sephora. Follow Summer on Twitter @SummerArlexis