10 Ways to be More Present as a College Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

As college students, it can be nearly impossible to stay in the present. It always seems like we need to be thinking about the next step, whether it be getting that summer internship, attending an intimidating career fair, or applying for study abroad. With all the chaos concerning what’s next, there’s less and less time dedicated to the moment. Here’s a list of helpful ways to try and remain present while being a college student!

1) Keep a journal.

Writing is one of the best ways to get out all your thoughts, anxieties, fears, or whatever else you may be feeling in that moment. Simply writing down a few things about your day or things you are worried about for the future will allow you to focus more on what’s going on in the present.

2) Start a gratitude jar.

Writing down one thing you are grateful for or one good thing that happened to you that day is a great way to think about what’s currently going on in your life. It can be something as small as seeing a golden retriever on Comm Ave to something bigger like your family’s good health.

3) Exercise.

We all have those days (or weeks) where we feel lazy and sluggish and would rather watch another episode of Netflix than go to Fitrec. If going to the gym isn’t your thing, even taking a walk on the esplanade or going for a bike ride can release any stress you might be feeling.

4) Yoga.

For all my yogis out there, doing yoga is an excellent way to focus on exactly what you are doing, whether it be downward dog, tree pose or my personal favorite, savasana. Even doing one sun salutation or a few balance poses in the morning can help you feel refreshed and energized for the day ahead.

5) Call someone you love.

Talking on the phone might not be everyone’s favorite thing to do, but by talking to someone and telling them about your day, you can truly think about what you are doing. Hearing about someone else’s day can also be a good way to get out of that college student mindset.

6) Go outside.

This advice might be hard as a Boston resident, but if the sun is out, there is no shortage of students on the BU beach, enjoying their iced Dunkin coffees and 45 degree sunshine. Instead of being stuck inside, thinking about all your responsibilities now and for the rest of your life, get some air. Stop and smell the roses.

7) Read the news.

This one might seem strange, especially these days where everything in the news causes us more anxiety. However, it’s a good way to stay up to date on what is happening and shift your focus away from that calc midterm coming up. If reading the New York Times isn’t your cup of tea, check out some television talk shows, like John Oliver’s or Trevor Noah’s. This is an easy way to stay informed and entertained at the same time.

8) Meditate.

Similar to yoga, meditation is one of the ultimate ways to be completely in the present. You literally only think about breathing. This is clearly easier said than done, but even if you don’t fully succeed with the whole blank mind thing, it’ll get you thinking about it.

9) Read.

If you ask any college student the last book they read, it was most likely their textbook. Reading for fun shouldn’t have to die when you come to college. Even if you only read a few times a week, it is still a great way to put all your energy into something other than your stress.

10) Put down your phone and forget about social media, even if it’s only for a few hours.

Social media easily makes our anxiety worse than it needs to be. Live like your parents and enjoy life before technology!

To all my college students out there, I know the struggle. I’m constantly thinking about the next step because I always feel like I have to. By doing some of the things on this list, you can focus more on enjoying the moment and not worry about what’s going to happen next month or next semester or next year. Be present!

Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.