This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Finals are hard and stressful. Your skin breaks out, you have no time for anything fun, and you never seem to be able to eat three meals a day. It’s so easy to let stress get the best of you during this week, but luckily I’ve compiled some tips that should calm your nerves a bit.

1. Make a detailed schedule for the week

It’s important to be very organized in the week leading up to and during the week of finals. Make a detailed schedule either on your phone, computer, or in your planner. Make sure to put in the dates, times, and locations of all your finals. Also, add times you’re free and blocks of time that must be spent in the library.

2. Do a face mask

Calm your skin down during one of the most stressful weeks of the year with a luxurious face mask. Be kind to your skin and don’t get mad if it breaks out. It’s normal to break out in times of stress. Just keep calm and carry on.

3. Eat well

Don’t let yourself get “hangry” in times of stress! Eat healthily and make sure to eat at regular intervals so you don’t crash. Don’t be afraid to treat yourself to a candy bar or Pinkberry—you deserve it!

4. Drink fluids

It’s so important to stay hydrated during finals week and while studying. There’s nothing worse than getting a headache from not drinking enough fluids while trying to cram for a test. Mix it up by drinking herbal teas and flavored waters.

5. Carry snacks

Again, don’t let the hunger get you down! It’s a good idea to carry snacks with you during the day so you don’t find yourself unable to concentrate because you’re so hungry. Also, it’s not fun to have to pack everything up and leave the library to go buy a snack.

6. Buy fun pens and highlighters

This is something I try to do around stressful academic times. If you have to read that book, at least you get to use your fun new highlighter! Stickers can be fun, too!

7. Form a study group

This is a great way to study a lot of material. Form a group of three to seven people and swap notes, talk through difficult material, and stress out together. I always think it’s reassuring to study in a group. It’s also nice to know there are others who are stressed about the same things.  

8. Sleep well

Sleep is so vital, especially when your brain is taking in so much information. Try to get at least seven hours of sleep before your final and during the week leading up to it. It’s important to feel rested, and getting optimal sleep wards off tension headaches.

9. Carry chargers

You will probably be using your computer and phone quite a bit during finals week. Make sure to bring your chargers because it’s so inconvenient to have to walk all the way back to your dorm from the library to get your chargers or to frantically search for one you can borrow.

10. Make time for socializing

Take breaks to do fun things with friends! I know a lot of people shut themselves in the library and study nonstop the whole week, but it’s good to talk to your friends and forget about those impending finals. For example, my friends and I are going to a karaoke bar on Wednesday night to de-stress!

Good luck with your finals, and don’t forget to have some fun, too!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Hometown: St. Paul, MN City Editor at the BU Buzz
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.