10 Thoughts Sophomores Have in the First Weeks of School

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Freshman year is finally over and you’re back for a new year, still fresh-faced but hardened with the first year experience. “Sophomore slumps” are notorious for their instability. You’re not new, but you’re not wise either; you have a general idea of where you’re headed, but the path is still long and winding. Sophomore year’s transitional nature can bring about epiphanies that change the course of your college (and even the rest of) your life. Regardless of the endless variations of what can happen this year, the first few weeks ring with a chorus of similar sophomore thoughts, whether they’re frantic, relieved or just plain hilarious. 

1. “Thank God I’m not a freshman anymore.” 

Being a freshie is fun…for a year. Even freshmen get tired of being freshmen. 

2. “Did I really look like that last year?” 

It’s not freshman fashion we’re bagging on—it’s that unmistakable bewildered shine to their eyes that we instantly recognize and remember. We also admittedly gawk at people who are dressed in BU merch head to toe. Sweatshirt, sweatpants, hat, water bottle, backpack and all; less is more, guys.

3. “Did I really act like that last year?” 

Travelling in herds and shuffling around campus in constant confusion was NOT fun.  

4. “I need to study abroad as soon as possible!” 

Since everyone and their mother studies abroad at Boston University and usually does it junior year, sophomores are suddenly slammed by the realization that they have to get some planning done if they want to venture out to a different country next year. To the Study Abroad Fair! 

5. “I won’t make the same mistakes I made last year.”  

Yeah, this one is dubious. We’re still probably going to procrastinate our readings, drink coffee at 10 pm and eat cereal for dinner. But we definitely won’t cram for midterms and finals!…right? 

6. “Holy cow, I need to get my GPA up!” 

So much for not taking freshman classes seriously. Some of us drove ourselves into deep waters because we opted to get fat at Warren’s Late Night Café instead of studying. Speaking of Warren Towers…

7. “How on earth did I survive Warren?”

Not every freshman lives in Warren their first year (the lucky ones), but the thousands who did now have to deal with war flashbacks of loud neighbors, communal bathrooms, dining hall disasters and elevator horror stories. Oh, and you can’t forget the great times residents had when they filed out of the building at 7 a.m. in 40 degree weather because someone thought it was a great time for a fire drill. Or because someone left their curling iron on on their bedsheets. Seriously, do I get a medal for having lived there? 

8. “I hope this winter isn’t as bad as the one last year…” 

My first year of college was also my first year of winter, being from Miami and all. I had a good ol’ time experiencing the beauty of the seasons, especially when Juno was threatening to turn Massachusetts into permafrost. I don’t have much hope that this year will be any different. 

9. “Why does everyone have an internship except me?” 

It seems like everyone starts the internship arms race straight out of their freshmen year. If the thought overwhelms you, don’t freak out—there’s plenty of time and opportunities at BU. Don’t feel inadequate just because every second of your time on campus isn’t filled with something to do. Use your time wisely, but don’t burn yourself out either. 

10. “It’s good to be back!” 

Being in college boils down to making a home for yourself in an environment that was once scary and new, and we’ve taken the next step unscathed. That alone is something to be proud of. So enjoy the ride! Onward to the years ahead! 

Nicole is a junior Film/TV major at Boston University. She's an Argentinean first generation student who made the leap from Miami to Boston for college. She has chosen writing as a career for reasons no one can explain, except maybe with theories of her masochistic tendencies. She dreams of being on a writing team for a sitcom and someday becoming a showrunner of her own original show.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.